Can't access iPhone in iTunes, iTunes telling me to set up my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rootsmaneuver, Nov 22, 2011.

1. rootsmaneuver macrumors member

Yesterday I did a good deal of syncing, transferring photos to my Mac and deleting them from my iPhone, adding some playlists and podcasts, etc. Everything was hunky-dory in iTunes and on the phone.

Today, when I plug my iPhone in to my Mac, it appears under DEVICES, but iTunes tells me to set up my iPhone, giving the option to "Set up as new iPhone" or "Restore from a backup".

Yesterday I could access all the content tabs for my iPhone. Today, just this unwelcome message.

I use iCloud, so I'm assuming I have an up-to-date backup in the cloud somewhere, but the only options for restoring from a backup are all from the day I first connected my phone to iTunes, so I don't want to go with that option.

I also assume that if I set up as a new phone, I'll have to add my content like music, etc, to the phone again. Inconvenient, but not a worst-case scenario.

This is all an inconvenience and quite annoying that this should happen at all, but I'm willing to restore it to "new phone" state.

My CONCERN with setting up as a new phone is that I live outside of Verizon's home network and would have to drive about 20 miles to activate my phone.

Can anyone tell me if I will need to reactivate the phone after it has been restored/set up as a new phone.

Lastly, i should have an iCloud backup, right???

2. rootsmaneuver thread starter macrumors member

never mind

i restored as new and it took like three seconds. phone still activated.:)