Cant add elpelle6 repo? anyone manage to add it now?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lostboyz, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostboyz macrumors member

lostboyz

2. lostboyz thread starter macrumors member

lostboyz

3. n1c3jack3t macrumors newbie

You could also try paying for MyWi and My3G. Just a thought.

4. rmul86 macrumors 6502

Assuming you have paid for MyWi and My3G, the above statement looks hypocritical. I can same the same to you: "You could also try paying AT&T 20 dollars a month for their tethering services vs. stealing tethering services from AT&T." I always find it hilarious when people can morally justify jailbreaking their phone but they cannot justify cracked apps. Never understood this double standard.

5. thep33t macrumors regular

in this case it is easy.

Jailbreaking is not against forum rules, cracked apps are.

6. rmul86 macrumors 6502

Not talking about the forum rules thep33t, talking about the double standard of whats morally justified and what isn't...if you justify mywi and other tethering apps then there is no way you cannot justify cracked tethering apps...In both cases you are stealing.

7. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

this. dont understand why people dont get this. Its the same principle as saying its ok to buy an illegal cable box for $50 and get cable for life but not ok to get it for free. Both ways are cheating the cable provider out of money. people try to justify it and think its ok because they "paid" $20 for it.

8. jason221 macrumors 6502

AT&T should just make their tethering compatible with the unlimited data plan and reduce the price to $5 or $10 extra a month, or god forbid, free. We're already paying you $30 for unlimited data, AT&T...

9. n1c3jack3t macrumors newbie

I don't have MyWi or My3g, but I know those are the apps in that repo. I have T-Mobile, and I don't tether. If that covers enough bases for you.

How is it a double standard? You're not STEALING anything by jailbreaking an iPhone. You're exploiting security holes, which could have moral dilemmas, but you are not stealing. Cracking an app that a dev has put time and effort into is stealing. Would you like to put in hard work and never get paid for it?

10. rmul86 macrumors 6502

Did you not read the quote that you referenced? Yes you would be stealing from AT&T by not subscribing to the 20 dollar tethering fee...explain to me how that is not stealing.

11. iphonedude123 macrumors member

You clearly have absolutely no clue what your talking about.

How are you comparing the act of jailbreaking to cracked apps?

12. Riley2323 macrumors member

Isn't being on Tmobile stealing in a sense too? ATT signed an exclusive contract with ATT. They paid a ton of money for the US exclusivity and Apple paid a ton of money to ensure US exclusivity existed. And now you are on another network circumventing ATT and all the they spent on exclusivity rights.

13. Claude626 macrumors 6502

I think the point of argument here is the fact that jailbroken iPhone users use apps that circumvent ATT's service -- tethering in this case. Thus, stealing from ATT's service without paying the monthly fee.

VS.

Cracking the 3rd party app that enables the tethering in the jailbroken iPhone. Thus, stealing from the tethering app developer.

In both instances, it's theft. One can argue that the later is greater of the two evils since it's stealing to steal. But both are evil. lol

14. rmul86 macrumors 6502

I guess you don't understand what stealing is so let me try and explain it again...For certain jailbroken apps (i'm not saying all apps) you are still stealing. For example:

Jailbroken Tethering (My3g or Mywi)
    one time fee of $20 (I don't know the exact price off the top my head)

AT&T Tethering (Non-Jailbroken)
    Monthly fee of $20
    Yearly fee of $240
    Two Year fee of $480

After one year of using jailbroken tethering apps you have successfully stolen $220 from AT&T. Two years of jailbroken tethering, you have stolen $460 from AT&T.

Get it yet?

15. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

How has he stolen?
    Jailbreaking is legal. He has a purchased unlimited plan.
    He used jailbreaking to his advantage.

Cracked apps arent allowed to be discussed here. Its that simple. Mods dont care about your moral justification.

16. iphonedude123 macrumors member

I have never before seen somebody so bad at reading basic English.

In this quote you are tying jailbreakers and people who get cracked apps together.

This rant has absolutely nothing to do with my post. Then again, given your inability to understand context clues, I can't say im surprised.

Let me know if you still don't understand and I will have my 4 year old daughter draw you a picture with crayons. Perhaps you will understand from somebody closer to your level of understanding.

17. rmul86 macrumors 6502

Yep, I can read.

This was the quote I was responding too and ranting about...Am I missing something here? I don't think so...

18. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

I pay for unlimited data. How is using that data for another device stealing? Att is stealing from me if anything. Wanting me to pay more to tether when I already pay to have unlimited data is pretty messed IMO

19. rmul86 macrumors 6502

Cortezbanks, no arguement here on how you feel about AT&T's policies...but it's still stealing, and in fact...illegal. Of course, I am only referring to the tethering services, NOT ALL JAILBREAK APPS.

20. jdong macrumors member

Have you read your AT&T contract lately? It explicitly forbids non-Tethering plans from being used for tethering.

21. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Then how do apps like Handylight make it through?
    They are ignorant. We take advantage.

22. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

So why can't the other poster "take advantage" of the free cracked app that allows him to steal from AT&T as well as the DEV? If you steal from one you may as well really go to hell and steal from both. No wait ... AT&T is a big corporation, so it's OK. The DEV is a little "robin Hood" who helps steal from the rich (AT&T) and gives to the poor (AT&T customers).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.