Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bmxlee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
I have a Mac Pro 2.1 2x 3ghz quad-core intel Xeon processor, 32GB 667mhz ddr2 FB-DIMM ram. Running 10.7.5 (lion)

I've created a SFOTT drive on various different USB sticks and internal drives with different versions of Yosemite.

Originally it would boot to a black screen with the apple logo and white writing (kernel panic) before restarting.

After trying a different yosemite app (which I bought already on a USB stick from eBay) nothing happens. I'll select the SFOTT disk on startup, I'll get the apple logo and the spinning wheel and then it just boots to my lion install.

I've tried plugging into the back, plugging into the front, using an extension cable etc and switching between the original graphics card and my new Radeon HD5770 1gb.

Have I missed something? Everyone else seems to find this easy, but I have had nothing but trouble!

CapnDavey

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
If I remember right SFOTT will only make a bootable flash drive from the first version of Yosemite or the so called gold master. so if you have 10.10.0 it should work 10.10.1 or later won't FYI

Bmxlee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
I definitely didn't know about that. Thank you, I'll give it a try!

CapnDavey

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
if you can't get an early version of the system you could always use macpostfactor thats what I did on my 06 mac pro

Bmxlee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
if you can't get an early version of the system you could always use macpostfactor thats what I did on my 06 mac pro

Just tried macpostfactor 3 times with yosemite 10.10. And 10.10.5. It does all of the installation etc, restarts a few times and then boots back up to Lion as if nothing happened. Am I doing something wrong? My Mac seems to just refuse to upgrade

Bmxlee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
I've managed to get most of the way through but the installation fails.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.