Can't burn any DVD+R DL on any macs so far. suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by khunsanook, Nov 5, 2007.

1. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

What am I missing? I have tried to burn a DVD+R DL disc on 3 different iMacs and one MBP. I have tried Maxell, Sony, Verbatim, Mitsubishi and no-namers. NOTHING has worked so far. I consistently get the error that the laser couldn't be calibrated for the media. All of the optical drives were MatSHITa and all were listed as being able to burn DVD+R DL.

So, is there something I need to do before I try to burn DL discs? Is there a preference that needs to be set? This is getting expensive. Are these optical drives that Apple is using really that bad?!? Wow, I hope not.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. mm1250 macrumors 6502

I was getting that error message with my 2.2Ghz MacBook Pro. I know it was a DL burning but I couldn't figure out why it was doing that. I was using Memorex DVD+R +DL. I went out and bought anther one called Verbatim 15pack 8x speed(orange label). It worked after that.

See if your drive matches this config: If it does, I know for a fact the Verbatim will work.

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857E:

Firmware Revision: ZA0E
    Interconnect: ATAPI
    Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
    Cache: 2048 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO

3. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

In my experience dual layer disks are so unreliable that they are not worth using. Especially for something you expect to be able to read a few months down the line.

According to http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm which is a nice guide to disk media quality (which is even more critical with dual layer) only MCC and MKM are the decent dual layer.

I recomend you check the media id of the disks yo uare using and then if you are using the good ones unfortunatly is may be the drive.

I use an PC internal drive in a FW case to burn my disks and can say that the drive had many firmware updates to improve things, maybe thereis a firmware update available for your drive?

Given the price of dual layer media I just use Taiyo Yuden single layer and use 2 disks when needed.

4. khunsanook thread starter macrumors 6502

khunsanook

Thanks, I will check the specs again on a few of these computers. It's frustrating to have to be so picky with the media.

5. khunsanook thread starter macrumors 6502

khunsanook

Thanks for the link and advice. Yeah, I rarely have problems with DVD-Rs. Even no-namers have been pretty reliable for me. But these unusable DL discs are getting expensive. It's too bad though, because my PC friends seem to use whatever brand of DL discs they want. I don't know why the Apple drives I've tried are so picky.

6. eorlando macrumors newbie

Burning a Quicktime movie to DVD

I have created a quicktime movie and exported it from an AVID editor to my hard drive, where it shows up as .mov. The movie is too long ( 10 minutes) to be taken in to iMovie and when I try and drag it into iDVD, that program also doesn't accept it. I tried dragging the movie ( the file extension is .mov) onto the DVD+R after putting the DVD in the slot, but it doesn't seem to transfer. I am an old-time film maker but new to the DVD burning aspect of this. (I am an old digital cut-type). What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

7. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Philips DL DVD+R

I bought two packs of 10 DL DVD+R about a year ago. Been using them with my Mac Pro, my brother's iMac 24 Alu & my mum's 1.66 Mac Mini. Not a single coaster.

Strongly recommended.

FireArse

8. khunsanook thread starter macrumors 6502

khunsanook

It's funny you mention the Philips. I think that's the only brand at the shop that I haven't tried yet. I'll let you know how they work out.

Cheers

9. mushin.webster macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I've the same problem.

I can't burn both -R DL and +R DL DVD. Both Verbatim. My MacBook Pro 15'' mount a:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857E:

Revisione firmware: ZA0E
    Interconnessione: ATAPI
    Supporto masterizzazione: Sì (unità fornita da Apple)
    Cache: 2048 KB
    Legge i DVD: Sì
    Masterizzatore CD: -R, -RW
    Masterizzatore DVD: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
    Strategie di scrittura: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO

But 'Burn' Software say it can't calibrate the media. I need to burn a Leopard Image in order to install it on another MacBook. Someone has tips about?