Can't buy HP LP2475W Monitor on Amazon, says something wrong with their inventory

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Luba, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Weird, Can't buy HP LP2475W Monitor on Amazon, says something might be wrong with their inventory. Is there a defect rumor regarding the display?

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

The monitor he is looking at is WAY better than the one you recommended. His pick has an IPS panel (better viewing angles, better black levels, better color accuracy), amazingly low input lag, more inputs, and a higher resolution.

The LP2475W is probably one of the best 24" monitors around.

4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Oh I didn't know that. Might as well get a refurbished 24in ACD. But that HP monitor is cheaper.

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Yeah, the thing with the ACDs, while they use the same IPS as the HP does, you're mainly paying for that sexy look. Not to mention the LEDs and glass that goes into it too. If the ACD had all the inputs the HP had, then the ACD would be worth the price, IMO.

6. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

The HP LP2475w isn't LED back light though. It's CCFL. Other than not as bright and LED uses less power, how's LED better than CCFL?

Don't really mind if the HP uses more power and don't usually have my screens set to the brightest setting, and nobody's complained about the HP being dim, I guess CCFL is ok. It's around $530 these days.

BTW, I've read the HP needs calibration, do I need to buy device for that to have it set up correctly? Or do people mean I have to play with the settings like in the old days. :)

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

LED tends to help contrast ratios as well, but I have a Dell S-PVA screen with CCFL backlights, and the black levels are darker than anything I've seen on a screen before, not counting OLED ;). And as for brightness, if my monitor is anything to go by, I keep my brightness at around 15 or so out of 100. CCFL is just fine.

A lot of IPS panels need calibration, more so than any other screen. If you want the "best" calibration, obviously some hardware is going to be needed. But you can do a calibration yourself with your mac's calibration tool and the settings on the monitor.

I would try doing a calibration yourself to see if you can get the colors to be what you want. If it gets too hard or it never comes out right, then get a device to aide you. You might be able to find some calibration profiles online if you search around. Hard|Forum's display section might be a good place to look, I know the LP2475W has a lot of talk in that forum.

8. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I just used a *.icc profile from here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm for my LP2475w.

It really is a beautiful monitor; you'll be very happy with your purchase.