Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quickquestion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
I have changed most of my application icons on my OX 10.6.8 mac book pro and the dock looks just right. :) But since updating to Firefox 26.0 it's been impossible to change that icon.
I've done the regular get info copy and paste over and over,
I've unlocked and changed the Sharing & Permission status giving everyone read & write privileges but nothing works.
Can you help?
Thank you.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
I have changed most of my application icons on my OX 10.6.8 mac book pro and the dock looks just right. :) But since updating to Firefox 26.0 it's been impossible to change that icon.
I've done the regular get info copy and paste over and over,
I've unlocked and changed the Sharing & Permission status giving everyone read & write privileges but nothing works.
Can you help?
Thank you.

You could try copying the icon you want into the Application bundle. /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/firefox.icns would be the file to be replaced.

quickquestion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
You could try copying the icon you want into the Application bundle. /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/firefox.icns would be the file to be replaced.

Thanks for your reply but I don't know how to access the application bundle.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Thanks for your reply but I don't know how to access the application bundle.

Graphically open Finder go to Applications folder right click on the Firefox.app then Show Package Contents double click on the Contents folder then the same on Resources there you will see the firefox.icns to replace. Command line open Terminal.app located in the Applications -> Utilities folder the type in and hit Enter key.

Code:
cp /path/to/your/replacement.icns /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/firefox.icns

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Another way:

Right click Firefox App> Show Package Contents> Contents> Resources

Inside Resources you will find the .icns logo. Just replace that .icns logo with the one you want and that should do it. Photos posted below for you to follow. Before you replace the .icns logo, save it somewhere else in case you want to switch it back.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 12.45.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 12.45.15 PM.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 12.48.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 12.48.11 PM.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 141

quickquestion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
Many thanks to the two of you. Given my hesitation of entering the terminal and changing commands I tried firedept's suggestion first and it worked! Yay!! :D
Thank you, thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.