Can't change Mac App Store app icons?

PXL Creations

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
So I just downloaded NewsRack for my Mac and I wanted to change the icon to fit my theme. I opened up the folder, replaced the .icns file with my new one, and attempted to open it. However, it would not open. So I replaced it with the original icon and then it worked, what gives? Am I doing something wrong or is Apple not allowing the changing of icons?

PXL Creations

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
I tried that of course, but that doesn't change the icon at all. This is a new issue with app store apps, doesn't happen with other ones.

Aidoneus

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2009
GGJstudios, all you seem to do is post links to other topics. Are you the forum cop or something?

Aside from that, your solution does not work for apps purchased from the Mac App Store.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
So I just downloaded NewsRack for my Mac and I wanted to change the icon to fit my theme. I opened up the folder, replaced the .icns file with my new one, and attempted to open it. However, it would not open. So I replaced it with the original icon and then it worked, what gives? Am I doing something wrong or is Apple not allowing the changing of icons?
App Store apps are, like some non-app store built in apps, code signed. You cannot change any file within the app bundle without breaking the code signing.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
GGJstudios, all you seem to do is post links to other topics. Are you the forum cop or something?
It's not a link to another topic. It's a link to a method of changing icons, in direct response to the question, as suggested in the Forum Rules:
The best way to be helpful is by posting a link to a previous relevant thread.
I tried that of course, but that doesn't change the icon at all. This is a new issue with app store apps, doesn't happen with other ones.
You can make an alias to the app and change the icon of the alias, using the method I posted a link to.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
A method of changing icons which doesn't address the OP's concerns.
It does if you read all of my last post. Are YOU a forum cop? If you don't like my posts, ignore them. If you feel they violate forum rules, report them. You post your way and I'll post mine.

PXL Creations

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
App Store apps are, like some non-app store built in apps, code signed. You cannot change any file within the app bundle without breaking the code signing.
So there is no way to do it?

You can make an alias to the app and change the icon of the alias, using the method I posted a link to.
Right but when the app is opened, it's icon changes back to the original.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Right but when the app is opened, it's icon changes back to the original.
Interesting, because it doesn't do that with other apps. The alias icon changes? That doesn't make sense, since it's a completely separate file, not under the control of the app. Does that only happen to you with App Store apps?

PXL Creations

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
Interesting, because it doesn't do that with other apps. The alias icon changes? That doesn't make sense, since it's a completely separate file, not under the control of the app. Does that only happen to you with App Store apps?
Yes, because I think that even though I changed the icon of the alias, it is still getting all the resources from the original, making the icon change back to the original when opened.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes, because I think that even though I changed the icon of the alias, it is still getting all the resources from the original, making the icon change back to the original when opened.
Where did you put the alias? Did you try putting it on the Dock or your Desktop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.