Can't connect aluminum macbook to vga monitor, help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by likemyorbs, Aug 17, 2010.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I bought a 22 inch monitor. its a pretty generic brand, but its very high resolution and works great on other computers. i got the vga adapter for my aluminum macbook (i posted in this section because its closer to the 13" mbp). i have an apple keyboard connected to it. i try to use it in clamshell mode and when i press a button on the keyboard to wake it up the screen just flickers as if its trying to adjust the resolution. strangely enough, it works perfect in mirror mode. anyone have an idea?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Is the MacBook connected to the AC adapter when you're doing this...?

3. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

yes it is

4. nniroclax macrumors newbie

The same thing was happening when I tried to connect my 13' MacBook Pro to my HP HD monitor. It worked in mirror mode but flickered when not in mirror mode.

The solution to my problem was the resolution of the HP monitor. In systems preferences, I had it set to 1080p resolution. When I switched it to 1344 x 1008 resolution and waited about ten seconds, the screen worked.

Unfortunately its not a perfect solution because it doesn't use all of the monitor space, but it does work. Hopefully it may work for you too.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Weird, I have a 24" running 1920x1080 and my 13" MBP running 1280x800 at work and have never had problems like that (power & ethernet always plugged in).