Can't connect to my monitor.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
Ok I have a very weird situation.
I have a monitor (HP 2311x) that doesn't work with my macbook air (core i5, 11" 2gb ram).
It works with an hp laptop, a macbook pro, and another macbook air (same model as mine).

Now you might think my MBA's thunderbolt port is faulty, but I'll tell you this:
It does work when connected to my TV! It just doesn't work with the monitor!

I really don't understand it, because a same model MBA does work with the monitor too...

All connections described above are MDP->HDMI.

Also, I reset the SMC and pram-vram and still doesn't work.

Should I try a format and clean install of Lion?

I also tried connecting to the monitor in boot camp with windows 7, still no luck!

edit: I did click on "detect displays".

Any useful tips and knowledge appreciated (read my post before suggesting what I've already done, though).

Last edited:

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
It could be the cable causing the problem, since the HP monitor works with other computers. Also, try your Air with another monitor before doing anything drastic like reinstalling Lion.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
It could be the cable causing the problem, since the HP monitor works with other computers. Also, try your Air with another monitor before doing anything drastic like reinstalling Lion.
The cables work with a macbook pro, and I've tried plenty of them, so they're not the problem.

I tried my air with my TV and it works.
I reinstalled Lion but it didn't format my drive , so I don't know exactly what it did.

I'll format and reinstall later.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
The cables work with a macbook pro, and I've tried plenty of them, so they're not the problem.

I tried my air with my TV and it works.
I reinstalled Lion but it didn't format my drive , so I don't know exactly what it did.

I'll format and reinstall later.
Format and reinstall. It help fix problems I had with properly detecting my TBD.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
works fine with dvi.
It's a really odd problem though, and nobody knows what's going on (i asked apple and others too).

applerepairs

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2011
Fulham, London
Might be port is faulty although it work with TV but monitor has a different connectivity.
Replacing the port would fix the problem, Rather than replacing the whole logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.