Can't decide between 4S on Verizon or Droid Razr Maxx

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ObsidianBlade, Apr 15, 2012.

1. ObsidianBlade macrumors regular

So I currently have $670 on a gift card with Verizon (don't ask why or how), and so I decided I would buy a phone at Verizon. I figured that since their 3G is supposedly garbage in comparison to AT&T's, I'd go with an LTE phone so I got the MAXX. Well I'm in my 14 day trial period on what is about to be day 5 and while I think the Droid is cool, I kinda want the good ol' iPhone but I can't make up my mind about what to get. Here's some of the reasoning I have.

For keeping RAZR MAXX:
    It's a nice change from the iOS that I'm used to with previous iDevices & my iPad
    ICS is pretty cool on it and improves the browser greatly
    LTE is freakin' amazing

To not keep it:
    It's Android and I'm not used to it and don't see what's so great about it (despite previous comments)
    It's rooted but I don't see what good it is besides ICS whereas jailbreaking is awesome
    Market....I mean "Play" kinda sucks IMO

For iPhone:
    Good ol' iOS
    Siri, camera
    App Store (and my apps)

Against iPhone:
    I have an LTE phone in my posession
    the 3G sucks (I think?)
    I already have an iOS device (my iPad)

One of the deciding factors will be whether or not the Verizon store by me has any iPhones with 5.0.1 on it so I can jailbreak....if it's even possible to find that out...

So....yeah.....input please?

2. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

3. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

Razr Max and 4.3 inch screen is the sweetspot between too small(iPhone) too big (galaxy note)

You do not want to miss out on Ice Cream Sandwich too

4. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

You're on a IPHONE forum asking for opinions between an IPHONE or an Android phone. Just a gut feeling, but I think most will be favorable towards the iPhone. While IF you ask the SAME question over at an Android Forum, I'm willing to bet the outcome will be the opposite.

While I'm no smartphone expert, but I did stay at the Holiday Inn last night.

5. ObsidianBlade thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that was the other point I forgot to mention. I love the screen size.

----------

Yeah I understand that, but I know there are people on here who will cast aside their allegiances to the iPhone to give an at least somewhat non biased opinion. Like the fella who I quoted before you.

----------

lol

6. b24pgg, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

b24pgg macrumors 65816

Razr MAXX.

Apps integrate so much better on Android.
    Google Voice Search is significantly more accurate than Siri.
    Free Google Navigation.
    4G LTE (and thus simultaneous voice and data)
    Better, bigger screen.
    LED notification light.
    Widgets.
    More customization options.

7. ObsidianBlade thread starter macrumors regular

1. Not sure what you mean by that..
    2. Haven't used it much, but I'll take your word for it.
    3. Yeah that is pretty sweet. iDevices should totally have it.
    4. Yes!
    5. Bigger, yeah, I don't know about better though.
    6. Jailbreaking nullifies that a bit IMO

8. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

Since you are on verizon I would go with the HTC rezound if I were you.

It came out $299 but has since dropped to $49

720P HD display(4.3 inch 342 pixels per inch) with beats handset and Sense 3.6 with ICS
    And of course its capable of LTE

9. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Take Google Voice for example.

On the iPhone, if you want to make an international call with Google Voice, you have to open the Google Voice app and use the Dialer or Quick Dial option within the app itself. On Android however, Google Voice is completely integrated. If the native phone dialer recognizes an international phone number, it will automatically dial with Google Voice instead of with your carrier.

Two more BIG advantages I forgot to mention about the RAZR MAXX are the LED notification light and widgets. One thing I love is that many apps allow notification light customization so you can assign different colors to different notifications. Missed call/voicemail = flashing green light. Text/Facebook message = flashing blue light. Email = flashing white light. Low battery = flashing red light. It's great to be able to glance at your phone and know if you have something to check.

10. cynics macrumors G4

Leaving android vs iOS out of my comment.

3G on Verizon is garbage (in my area). Put it this way, my work pays for my iPhone and service and I still use my personal tablet and data as a wifi LTE hotspot for my iPhone. LTE speeds and voice + data.

I wouldn't personally buy own an iPhone currently on Verizon's network.

11. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Razr and Razr Maxx have one of worse display I've seen among recent high tier devices. That relatively low density pentile display just looks grainy.

I think if you really like LTE, that might be an enough reason for you to keep the Maxx. At least the Maxx has that excellent battery life.

12. ObsidianBlade thread starter macrumors regular

What makes the Rezound better than the RAZR? I thought they were pretty similar, and besides I'm already in posession of the RAZR :confused:

----------

Ahh I understand now. Yeah that is pretty cool. And I had no idea about the notifications. Cool stuff indeed, I thought there was just green and red.

----------

Hmmm...well I was thinking about if it would be a good idea for me to use my iPad 3 with the Verizon iPhone. What kind of speeds do you get in your area?

----------

I kind of disagree about the display being horrid. I don't think it's better than the iPhone, but I don't think it's that bad. It's pretty nice for a non-retina device IMO. But that's the thing, we just have opinions. ;)

Thanks to everyone for posting thus far. The replies I've read have been quite helpful/positive/useful to me.

Could anyone answer the question as to whether or not Verizon would know if they have 5.0.1 devices in their stores? (really a cellularsales outlet but w/e) I know I could just call but at this hour I kinda can't and I'm curious. :)

13. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I don't think Verizon's 3G is garbage by any means. My 3G works well enough on my iPhone (on Verizon, of course) that I don't really see the difference between it and AT&Ts (in my area). It works fast enough for me to do what I need to do on a smart phone.

Verizon's LTE is just amazing, however. I'm keeping my iPhone because I'm tied to Apple's ecosystem, for now. Also, everyone I know that has had an Android phone usually prefers the iPhone mostly due to its stability.

A phone is a phone and needs to be reliable and act as a phone.

14. ObsidianBlade thread starter macrumors regular

Could you please provide me with some examples of the speeds you receive? I'm quite interested.

I do indeed agree that LTE is amazing, as I have hit speeds of up to 26Mbps which is quite mindblowing to me.

I don't know many Android users that prefer the iPhone. I know some that respect it, but most are content with their devices and I'm unaware of many stability issues.

15. mrbutters macrumors regular

I just sold my 4s yesterday and the Maxx is now my main phone. I have had Android phones before so I was used to the OS. There are just so many things I prefer with Android that makes life easier for me. You will also get far superior speeds on LTE and the battery on the Maxx will last longer than the 4s only running 3G. Cant beat that. I still have my iPad for my iOS needs. How did you get ICS on it? Did you root and install and custom rom? If so, which one?

16. ObsidianBlade thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, funny to see someone do the opposite of me. I think OS preference does become a major factor in what phone someone gravitates towards. I think that if I had more fun with the apps I might keep it....I really don't know. I'm so torn it's ridiculous lol. I'm gonna call Verizon later/tomorrow (you know what I mean) and ask them if they have any 5.0.1 iPhones. if yes, I'll get it. If not, I'll either keep the MAXX or just get my money back and use it for other purposes.

As for getting ICS on it, there was a video I followed....getting you the link now....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RopU0oyz2O0&hd=1

worked fantastically I might add. Had it not been for ICS, I would've considered returning the RAZR just because I hated how laggy the browser was. (kind of ridiculous I know, but I'm a ridiculous person sometimes lol). Hope that video helps you out. It's a nice feeling to help and be helped at the same time ;)

17. LostAggie macrumors 6502

I just returned a razor max because it was a piece of garbage... screen is bigger but looked horrible...

18. ObsidianBlade thread starter macrumors regular

Were you coming from a retina display?

19. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Here's my Verizon LTE speedtest.net history:

[​IMG]

20. ObsidianBlade thread starter macrumors regular

Whoops, I meant from the iPhone that you have so I could see Verizon's 3G speeds. I probably should've been more specific. But it's nice to see LTE too lol.

21. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Ahh gotcha lol. Just did a 3G speed test from a 4S in the same physical location as the previous 4G results:

[​IMG]

22. ObsidianBlade thread starter macrumors regular

lol there we go. That's actually better than I expected. Is that typical? Or is it usually higher/lower?

23. b24pgg macrumors 65816

This is pretty typical...occassionally it will be lower at peak times. I've never seen it get much higher than this.

24. ObsidianBlade thread starter macrumors regular

I'm stupid. I could've answered my own question. I have two Verizon LTE devices and didn't think to just turn off the LTE. Here's what I got from a test on the RAZR.

[​IMG]

25. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Question: Can the Android LTE phones from Verizon do voice and data simultaneously, or are you still restricted to the standard CDMA either/or situation as with the iPhone 4s?