Can't decide if the 6 Plus can replace my iPad Air

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PatriotInvasion, Oct 2, 2014.

1. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

So I'm 2 weeks into owning my 6 Plus and am trying to decide if I should sell my iPad Air and just go with my 27-inch iMac alongside the iPhone 6 Plus.

I use my iPad Air primarily for couch web surfing, YouTube, and email, so nothing overly productive. Previously, my iPhone 5s was just not big enough for these tasks for extended periods, clearly justifying the need to own an iPad in between my iPhone and iMac. Now, seems like the 6 Plus is fine for everything but having a hard time parting ways with the iPad Air despite barely using it. Has anyone else in my situation pulled the trigger and ditched their iPad for an iPhone 6 Plus only? If so, have you found a scenario where you miss the iPad and would rather have it instead of the money you sold it for?

2. richgirl macrumors member

Why not just wait a month or two? If you're not using your ipad air anymore then sell it. If you are, keep it. I would think it would be too early to make a decision like that when you're still riding off the high of owning a brand new phone.

3. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I was thinking this exact same thing this morning, and I decided to get rid of the Air. Sadly though, I dont have a 6+ yet (on order), but I know from playing with a 6+ for an extended period of time, that the Air would ultimately become the red-headed step child once my 6+ arrives. But now, where where where to sell? It's a shame you can't use Apple's recycle program on current gen devices.

4. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

think about second screen too if you use both devices at the same time

5. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

While the 6 Plus is undoubtedly a nice phone I don't know how it can replace an iPad. While it's a large screen for a phone, I can't see using it as a sole means to web surf while relaxing at home. Seems to small for that. But that's just my opinion. YMMV!!!

6. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

There is a size for everything, it all depends on how many sizes you want or care for.

7. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Though a 6 Plus may replace the iPad Mini Retina, but it sure does NOT replace the Air.

9. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Don't be ridiculous.

You need both.

Well not "need" but you know what I mean.

10. jimnguyen07 macrumors newbie

There are also some apps that are only available in iPad format and not iphone

11. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Way to go with that first world attitude :p

12. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Sold my Air to buy my 6+.
    Sold my 5s and bought another Air.

The 6+ was not a substitute for the Air in my case.

13. 17MBPC2D macrumors regular

6+ has pretty much replaced my iPad mini but it can't replace my beloved iPad Air
    Should rumors of a larger iPad Pro becomes true and when available, that will replace my existing Air

14. Chairman.Jobbie macrumors 6502

I've had my 6+ for 2 weeks now (love it!) and my iPad Air is getting less use but i wouldn't sell it because there will be / have been times when i want to watch something whilst doing other 'productive' stuff on on my 6+... def good to have 2 devices to switch between.

15. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

I haven't used my retina mini since getting my plus. That said I'm not sure if I'll keep it or sell it.

16. aevelasquez macrumors regular

Trust me it cannot.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the iPhone 6 Plus is leaps and bounds ahead of the original in terms of functionality, versatility, and overall usability, and at first you might find yourself wanting to use it more, but that happens with any new device. Sometimes you'll even find it more convenient than getting up and going to find your iPad or carrying it around everywhere, especially with the bigger screen and extended battery life. But it's no iPad Air, when it comes to reading books or news, watching movies, surfing the net, or doing work. The iPad is still a workhorse. At least to me.

17. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

This is what I'm thinking. Zero reason for a Mini if you have the Plus but the Air is still a much bigger screen and nice for couch surfing and video watching.

:apple:

18. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Lol I have the 6+ and anytime I'm home and need to browse the web or do anything non text/phone call related, I'm using my iPad Mini.

19. cababah macrumors 68000

I almost think the 6+ can replace the air and then I use the air for 5 seconds and think "Nope!"

20. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

My iPhone 6 Plus is on order from Apple. I currently have an iPad 3. I will be using my trade in $300 gift card from Apple for my iPhone 5s to go toward my purchase of the new iPad Air 2.

I do not think that the iPhone 6 Plus is a replacement for an iPad Air to say the least. If anything it may replace an iPad Mini but not an iPad Air

21. alent1234 macrumors 603

i have a galaxy note 3 i'm going to dump for a 6+ soon, and two ipads at the house. yes, an iphone can replace enough tasks that you won't miss your ipad

22. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Way to go taking him to task when he already acknowledged that it wasn't a need.

23. cwosigns macrumors 65832

cwosigns

I have an iPad Air and an iPhone 6 Plus. I don't think of the 6 Plus as a replacement, mainly because of the way that iOS apps are developed:

• iPhone only
    • iPad only
    • Universal (both iPhone and iPad)

The iPhone apps will work great. The iPad-only apps aren't even available, and the Universal apps (which could potentially run the iPad version on a 6 Plus) do not. They always run as an iPhone app.

IMHO, we won't see the full potential of the 6 Plus' screen real estate realized until developers rework their app to more fully take advantage of the extra screen real estate of the 6 Plus.

24. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

25. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Yea, it's just that I always found the iPad to be a bit of a luxury between my iPhone and iMac that is more nice-to-have than must-have. The 6 Plus swings the pendulum even more to the point where I start to wonder if I'd be better off with the money I can get for the Air vs allowing it to collect dust most of the time just to say I can use a bigger screen version of essentially the same device a few times a week.

I may sell the Air now and see how life is without it. Then when the iPad update happens this month I can decide if the improvements to the iPad line can justify it's existence, management, and cost for me. I'm thinking I'll be just fine with a 27-inch iMac and 6 Plus.