Can't decide whether to buy friend's MBP or not, seems like a decent price

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Godinster, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Godinster macrumors newbie

Pretty simple question here.

I've got a friend selling his 13.3" 2.4ghz current generation MacBook. He's got all the accessories it came with, the box, a cover and it's pretty much in flawless condition. He's also upgraded the hard drive to a WD Blue 640 GB. It's had the keyboard cover and enclosure on it since the day he bought it and there's not even a tiny scratch on it.

I've been looking into getting a laptop for future school and a bit of blizz gaming for a while and was heavily skewed into getting a PC, but it seems for the price it'd be worth it. He's asking $800 from me for it and I'm really tempted right now to get it. I'd also like to do a bit of non-Blizzard gaming and from what I've heard, many Steam/Valve games have been ported over to OSX.

I realize this is a pretty vague question, but is $800 a good enough value that I should snag it before anyone else does? Everything on eBay is either fake or refurbished or used heavily so I can't get a good idea on price.

Originally I was going to hold out until the next generation of MacBooks but saving about $300 + taxes and the fact that it seems this generation will last a little longer than previous generations with their dual core processors makes it almost a deal maker. Unless this isn't such a good idea.

It has about three or four months left on the warranty and he has the receipt in case I decide to add AppleCare, which I'm thinking I would probably do.

2. nwbusa macrumors regular

3. Godinster thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to know, thanks.

Any other opinions, either for or against?

4. 123macman macrumors member

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

6. Godinster thread starter macrumors newbie

K looks like I'll be a Mac user tonight, despite years of being anti-Mac. It'll fit in with the iPad and iPhone 4 I suppose, and I'll have my powerhouse PC for the apps I need that only PC has, as few as they are these days.

Thanks for the advice.

7. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

a wise guy said never buy anything from friends, it can sometimes break the relationship...but if the price is such a steal then it might be worth it!!

8. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

To be honest with you, i'm not sure its the best deal in the world for you. If you check out the top story on macrumors.com at the moment it is that the Macbook Air's are getting insanely close to the full size MBP's so that raises the question whether Apple are going to leave that for long. I also checked out the buyers guide for you and it does say that there will likely be an update soon. Lastly you've said you play WoW and after that last update affecting performance issues and the fact Cataclysm is still to come i think you'll be desiring more. Don't get me wrong $300+ dollars is a lot of money but you want your new computer to to last as long as possible, i suggest you hold tight and see what the new models bring, i know they say always buy technology when you need it because theres always another update but with Apple buy at the start of a new cycle, they don't release products everyday, and get the longest life out of your product and money. When the new models come out the prices of that model will drop anyhow and you'll be able to get some good deals from the suckers who want the newest one and didn't bother to check the product cycle length.

Bottom line is if you can make do with your equipment now i'd hold tight, if not, snap it up and cross your fingers!

Best of luck with your choice....

9. Godinster thread starter macrumors newbie

I could see most agreeing and I thought about that too, but the MacBook Airs are of very little interest to me. I do need portable but not super super portable and I honestly think the iPad would solve any needs I have than a MacBook Air would provide.

10. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

Sorry i wasn't suggesting to buy a Macbook Air at all to me they're an accessory as you'll need a full computer, disc drive etc unless its for email in which case you'd have an ipad like you said, but i'm sidetracking.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Portable_Macs

Im referring to the above site as in that new MacBooks will be with us soon and will be above the Air's just released i'm confident of that. For me buying a new Apple product was fantastic as if you bought at the start of a cycle you'd have a minimum of 6 months where you had the best and be happy with your choice. Im afraid that round the corner a new macbook range will come out possibly a new design is what i'm hearing and your 300$ really wont seem that much anymore for the extra period of macbook life you'll be graced with as well as looking cool for 6 months:D.

11. Accel Junky macrumors newbie

Price seems good. I think the cheapest you can get a new MBP 13" base model is $999 plus tax. Love mine. I can't say for sure if I would have bought used for $200 savings or not (which is a lot of money) because the unboxing was quite exciting...maybe not $200 exciting...

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When I sell stuff to my friends it's usually at a steep discount or I don't sell it to my friends. Even if I do sell something to my friends, I would need to test it thoroughly to make sure it's in good working order.

13. mark28 macrumors 68000

Seems like a good deal if it is in perfect condition.

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

$849 plus tax for a refurbished base Macbook 2.4GHz/2GB/250GB at Apple's Refurb store, includes one year warranty.

Base Macbook Pro 2.4GHz/4GB/250GB is $999 plus tax in-store at Microcenter if there's one you can get to (brick&mortar), or $1019 plus tax at Apple's Refurb Store.

The question for the OP ends up being whether the lower price and larger HDD of the friend's Macbook balances against the warranty & higher price (plus tax) of a brand new or refurbished unit.