Can't decide which phone to get

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by super michael, Jul 9, 2012.

1. super michael macrumors regular

I need help I just can't decide which phone to get, I am interested in the samsung galaxy S3 and the soon to come the Iphone 5.

The problem is that both the android and IOS looks amazing, but at the moment I only used a midrange android phone which is a samsung galaxy ace, while for IOS I used Ipod touch 4th gen.

What is the different in IOS and android? Does IOS and android have exclusive apps which each other can't get?

2. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

If I were you... coming form an Android platform already... go with the Galaxy S3.. is a very nice device and I know you will be very happy with it.

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

You have a taste for both platforms, pick which one you like better. Typically iOS gets apps first but in the end most big apps end up on both platforms. If an app is only going to be on one platform it's going to be on iOS 99% of the time.

4. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Than again, he's also coming from the iOS platform.

The advantage for iOS is that it basically runs all apps, while Android phones do not support all apps (a lot of high-end smartphones, for example, do not support the game Grand Theft Auto) (and there are iOS exclusive apps).

5. buddgeez macrumors member

I think you should wait for the iPhone 5 to be released and go into a cellphone store and test them both out to see which one you like better. But if you can't wait and need a decent cell phone right now get the galaxy s3.

6. super michael thread starter macrumors regular

I think your idea is good, I guess the only way for me to choose is to see both mobile phone in store.

I am in no hurry to buy any mobile, so I wait for Iphone 5 to come out.

7. x&y macrumors member

Don't mean to be rude so sorry in advance if I sound rude but how do you know the iPhone 5 will be out 'soon'?

8. batting1000 macrumors 604

Based on the fact that the 4S was released last October.

9. Psycho Mantis macrumors member

Its almost been one year since the 4S was released.

10. x&y macrumors member

I understand and appreciate what you're saying, but me and a lot of other people have a feeling we won't see a new iPhone in 2012.

I don't think they have invented a good enough new feature to be able to sell one.

11. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

There's always something. A different design. An adjusted or new display. A better front facing camera. A better rear facing camera. 4G LTE.

They could even take the iPhone 4S design (or some variant of it) and only add 4G LTE and still call it the "best iPhone ever".

12. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Screen size, 4G, and standard technological advances (faster CPU, better camera, etc) would give them plenty enough reason to release a new phone this year.

13. x&y macrumors member

I think they need something really special if they want to make a huge impact with the iPhone 5 though. This isn't just the 4s or the 3Gs we're talking about where a few little upgrades is acceptable, people will want something completely new and unique that no other phones on the market currently have and I'm not sure if Apple have figured it out just yet.

14. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

They'd update the phone this year for no other reason than to add LTE. My guess is we'll see some sort of redesign as well.

But I'd be beyond shocked to not see an update this year.

15. qawes macrumors regular

qawes

I'm in the same situation as you. I'm in the market for a new phone right now, and i'm really tempted to buy the SGS3, but on the other hand by previously owning an iPhone I really do want the new iPhone 5.

I personally decided to wait and save myself the hassle of selling the SGS3 when the iPhone comes out, mainly because I've never had an Android phone before.

So, hope's up for a new release asap!

16. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Both phones are great. The iPhone 5 isnt out yet but im sure that goes without saying.

The Galaxy S3 has a lot bigger screen and it isnt too big IMO. The iPhone will be getting a bigger screen(we think anyways) though it is only 4" and imo is still too small. I think 4.3" should of been the starting point but the phone will be a good device.

Both phones will be very fast and you are already familiar with Android. Just depends on what you want i guess.

17. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Don't mean to be rude either, but you and a lot of other people are wrong.

18. takeshi74, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

This is really too much to expect people to spoon feed you. You need to determine your priorities and then select the solution that best suits your needs. Each OS certainly has apps that the other does not but whether that matters to you is up to you to determine and we can't list out every single app that one OS has that the other does not.

If you've used the OS's then you're equipped with what you need to make the decision. There are plenty of threads on upcoming features but, again, it's up to you to determine what's important to you and what isn't.

If you are really having problem making a choice then tell us what your perceive to be the pros and cons of each option. What have you liked about Android? What have you not liked? What have you liked about IOS? What have you not liked? Device and OS selection is highly subjective. You need to tell us about your needs/wants/priorities. This isn't a one-size-fits-all thing or else everyone would use just one OS.

Have you read any reviews of the Galaxy S3? Have you tried one out in person? What are your thoughts on it?