Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fugabutacus

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2010
I was curious to try out rules in Mail, so I tested it out by setting up a rule to turn the text of emails from existing contacts red. It worked fine.

I didn't actually want to keep that rule, so I deleted it. But those emails are still red. I created the exact same rule again, but this time set it to black. It's still red.

I restored an earlier version of syncedrules.plist and unsyncedrules.plist from Time Machine, they're still red.

How on Earth do I stop these rules from being applied, despite the fact that there are no rules set?

Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I was curious to try out rules in Mail, so I tested it out by setting up a rule to turn the text of emails from existing contacts red. It worked fine.

I didn't actually want to keep that rule, so I deleted it. But those emails are still red. I created the exact same rule again, but this time set it to black. It's still red.

I restored an earlier version of syncedrules.plist and unsyncedrules.plist from Time Machine, they're still red.

How on Earth do I stop these rules from being applied, despite the fact that there are no rules set?
When you apply a rule and it modifies the text of an email, deleting the rule will not reverse that action. However, creating the new rule to turn it to black should have worked, if that rule was created properly. Have you confirmed that the old "red" rule is still in effect, turning text red in new messages as they come in? Or is it just that those messages that were previously turned red remain so, but new messages that come in are unaffected?

Fugabutacus

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2010
It looks as though new emails aren't affected by the rule. If it's that the emails are actually altered one-by-one then that makes sense. It's annoying, but it makes sense.

In that case, how do I remove that from the emails?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It looks as though new emails aren't affected by the rule. If it's that the emails are actually altered one-by-one then that makes sense. It's annoying, but it makes sense.

In that case, how do I remove that from the emails?
Yes, the emails are actually altered one by one. You should be able to create a rule to turn the text back to black. Create that rule and post a screenshot of the rule as you have defined it.

Fugabutacus

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2010
Yes, the emails are actually altered one by one. You should be able to create a rule to turn the text back to black. Create that rule and post a screenshot of the rule as you have defined it.

Okay, I've fixed it. I'd already tried creating a rule to turn them black, but it turns out I had to go through each email and right-click, then select "apply rule."

It would have been less annoying if it had let me select multiple emails at once, but for some reason I had to do it one by one!

But at least it's fixed now.

Thanks for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.