Can't Delete Videos

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dnbull, Dec 22, 2011.

1. dnbull macrumors newbie

My sister cannot delete her iPhone 4 videos (the one you record with the phone not the ones you upload)

On my iphone, I have options "Share, Copy, Add, Remove" and on my sister's iPhone she has "Share, Copy, and Add"

She does not have PhotoStream on either.

I searched forums and google but I'm finding people talking more about the "music ipod app" instead of recorded videos from the iphone 4.

Sorry if this has been discussed but I can't seem to find it or maybe I'm not using the right terminology.

Thanks.

2. Jamkas macrumors member

Try taking a new video and deleting it immediately after recording it.

Now how does your sister have these videos synced? Are they synced to iPhoto and place in an event or album?

I know the videos and pictures I have cannot be deleted off my phone because they are filed and synced up iPhoto.

Are the videos you're having an issue with stored on her computer or are they in the camera roll?

If none of this applies I recommend just doing the standard restore as something is a little off.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I have a trash can on mine. Does hers not look like this?

[​IMG]

4. dnbull thread starter macrumors newbie

I feel offended by that pic :/ I'm not that slow... and no.. there's nothing there like I said it only shows "share, copy and add"

----------

I will have to check with her iphoto settings then, I'm not sure about that.

The videos are on the camera roll.

5. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Can you take a screen cap and post it here for reference?

6. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

Then you are not in the right place. I don't think it is possible for a trash can to just disappear.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It has nothing to do with being slow or not but rather it gets us to the answer far, far quicker than a dozen people asking slightly different questions trying to figure out what you're seeing.

If the trash can is gone then something is wrong. She should do a hard reset first, then if that doesn't work then she should restore the phone from a backup through iTunes. And if THAT doesn't work then visiting the Apple Store is the only other idea I have left.

8. dnbull thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, no problem.

I also learned that it is from the "Photo Library" Album. That's where the video are stored for some reason, they don't land on Camera Roll album.

Screen shots in a few.

9. dnbull thread starter macrumors newbie

Here are three pictures.

Attached Files:

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What's supposed to happen is that they go in the camera roll. It sounds like she's doing some 2nd step that she didn't tell you about.

Find out if she's shooting, importing them to a Mac in iPhoto, and then re-syncing them to the iPhone.

If that's the case she needs to adjust her photo-sync settings in iTunes to only copy back what she wants to copy back.

If that's not what's happening you need to find out how she's getting her videos into the photo library. Is she using some 3rd party camera app?

11. Jamkas, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

Jamkas macrumors member

There is your problem. You aren't able to delete anything in "Photo Library". You cannot delete photos from your iPhone if they are synced and filed under something in iPhoto or any photo manager.

She will be able to delete the video on her PC. If she takes a video and just leaves it in Camera Roll she'll be able to delete it no problem. There is nothing wrong with her phone. It just isn't a feature.

EDIT Sorry about the size EDIT

Here are some examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one is from "Camera Roll" and I can easily delete the video. It may be backed up on my computer but that is only because of the iTunes back up. It is only stored on my phone.

The other is from "Photo Library" and is stored on my phone and PC. Also it is filed in my iPhoto under an event. I can delete the video in my iPhoto and it will no longer appear on my phone after the next sync.

The videos you're trying to delete have been stored, synced, and filed on her PC. So you have to delete them from her PC, then sync the phone, then they'll be off the phone.

12. dnbull thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, this seems to be the reason right here.

thanks for your time.