Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

da_alchemist

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
Hey,

I got a small but annoying problem which I've had for a while. I've never heard of anyone having this problem but maybe you geniuses can help me out:

For some strange reason whenever I try to download any files from the web (i.e., files from sites such as Versiontracker or whatever) the pages simply reload. For example, I will click the "Download now" link but the page just reloads! So. . . in order for me to download anything I would have to right click the link, select "Download link to disk".

That works but its very annoying and it doesn't work sometimes because occasionally it will download the html page instead of the file which I want to download.

It does this for all the browsers I use which is Safari, Firefox and the archaic Internet Explorer.

FYI - I use a Powermac G4 running on Jaguar but hopefully on Tiger soon

Thanx for any help.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Odd one for sure? The only thing that comes to mind is your mouse- are you using any software with your multiple button mouse? Not that I think that could cause the problem, but who knows?!?! The mouse is the only thing I can think of that is consistent with all the browsers you use.

Good luck.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
When I download things, the page usually reloads also. It's a bit of a far off bet but is there a chance these things are actually downloading, just to a location that's pretty well hidden? Does anything come up in the download managers of the browsers? It's a bit out there because it's happening to all browsers though... :confused:

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I was thinking along similar lines. All browsers have, in their Preferences, a default location to which they download files. Maybe you're just not seeing it. (I noticed your "newbie" designation.)

Try this: go to the Finder (desktop) and press Command-F, which will bring up the "Find..." window. Make sure it says, "Search in: Everywhere". Then ignore the field that says "File name contains...". Click on the pull-down menu below that says, "Add criteria..." and select "Date created". I believe the default value for that is "today".

Then hit the Search button. You'll find all files you created today, but among them should be the ones you (presumably) downloaded but can't find.

My apologies if I'm being too elementary, but I find that, even as a seasoned user, I sometimes forget where I designated a download to go, and I have to resort to that trick.

da_alchemist

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
Thomas Veil said:
My apologies if I'm being too elementary, but I find that, even as a seasoned user, I sometimes forget where I designated a download to go, and I have to resort to that trick.

No apologies needed Thomas. Thanx for the help.

All my downloads end up on my desktop by default so its not listed anywhere else in the search results. Its a weird problem. Hopefully, it will correct itself when I upgrade to 10.4 in the near future.

da_alchemist

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
mad jew said:
When I download things, the page usually reloads also. It's a bit of a far off bet but is there a chance these things are actually downloading, just to a location that's pretty well hidden? Does anything come up in the download managers of the browsers? It's a bit out there because it's happening to all browsers though... :confused:

My download manager doesn't show up when I click on the link. But, when I right-click to download the file it does show up and it downloads by default to the desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.