Can't download from itunes on laptop to Itouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mal Function UK, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Mal Function UK macrumors newbie

Hi,
    My I touch 2nd gereration is normally synced to my works desktop (this desktop has no internet connection and never has had so my Itouch is not registered to the desktop) Everything works fine, I can transfer my own music, video's etc to my Itouch. I recently downloaded my first mucic video from itunes website to my laptop (the one I registered my Itouch on), connected my Itouch to the laptop but cannot transfer my video to the itouch. I appreciate that I can't sync automatically as I will lose my existing files from the Itouch as I don't have a copy of these files on the laptop but surely I should be able to transfer the file manually from my laptop to Itouch Any help much appreciated.
    Mal

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    plus the ipod touch in and on the ipod screen click "manually manage music and videos"

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You would think so, but no, Apple doesn't think that way. It doesn't matter which computer you registered your touch on, what matters is which one you have it set to sync with. If your touch syncs music with one computer, then it is also set to sync videos with that computer, you cannot copy videos from another computer to your touch.

I think what you'll need to do is to copy that video off your laptop to your work desktop, then sync it to your touch from there.

I believe that would delete the music already on the touch.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

No it doesn't erase anything when enabled. It just disables syncing with one library and allows you to pick and choose music off of mulitple computers. :D

5. fcoy2 macrumors newbie

I just bought a Touch and set it up on my home computer. As a rule I always manually manage content so I didn't sync it to that Mac, and had no problems adding music and videos at home. But, when I tried at work I ccouldn't add anything to the touch through iTunes there. I get an error message "Attempting to copy to the disk (name) failed. The disk could not be read from or written to." I even tried wiping it clean and restoring factory settings, but it still wouldn't accept content, either through syncing or manually copying. But last night at home, worked like a charm.

I also have applications that will publish to the Notes function on an iPod (Voodoo Pad) but it doesn't recognize that there is an iPod attached to the computer. This is one of the reasons I wanted the touch, the bigger screen and live links in the document should be much easier to use on a Touch. But no dice here either.

Same OS 10.4.11, same version of iTunes, same version of Quicktime, different processor (Intel vs PowerPC G5). Any other suggestions?

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

So is your itunes that you have installed up-to-date?