Can't FaceTime with my wife since both iPad's are using my account. How to fix?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GhostMac24, Sep 21, 2011.

1. GhostMac24 macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Bought my wife an ipad and we use a single itunes account (mine) so that all our music, apps, etc, are all in sync (i.e., she is one of my "authorized devices"). However, it appears that the system thinks that both iPads are the same person.

So, can two different users (like us) be able to FaceTime using the same iTunes account? Or does iTunes have nothing to do with it and I need to change a settings, etc?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Go to Settings > FaceTime > Add Another Email...

Add and verify another e-mail and then you can call her via whatever e-mail you choose. For example, FaceTime on my phone uses my cell phone number, on my Mac I use one e-mail, and on my iPad I use another.

3. piratemc74 macrumors member

You may have to change....

your "caller ID" to be the second email, on the 2nd iPad - don't remember excalty, but, I had same issue with iPhone, (mine and wife's), iPad, iMac, and MBA... created free email id's or aliases, to distinguish who to call.

4. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

5. shandyman Suspended

The reason it thinks this is because it's designed this way. Apple ID's are for individual people, not for couples, families, groups, etc. Apple have designed their system on this basis, couples, families, etc classing it under Authorised devices are stretching the actual definition of this, authorised devices are intended for people that have an iPhone, a Mac and an iPad or something like that.....

easiest thing is for your wife to get her own seperate Apple ID.

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Agreed. You can still share all your music, apps, etc. with different Apple ID's.

7. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

She actually has her own separate apple .mac account. Don't worry, I'm not stealing or stretching the legal limits. It just got setup that way and now I know how to fix it as I didn't realize that it was tied to email account rather than itunes account. Thanks though.