Can't figure out how to have iPhone not want to "erase all content"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sean Dempsey, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

This is pissing me off.

I have a new 4S. I also have a new MBA. I did a backup/restore of my iPhone 4 to the 4S, but now anything I want to do through itunes gives me the

"If you sync, any apps from this phone will be erased and replaced with the ones on this computer" or the same message, but with music.

why is it so impossible to have your iphone work with more than 1 computer? How can I fix this?

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Obviously Apple doesn't want you downloading another user's apps and music.

(What's the Cydia app that allows it?)

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Authorize the different computers between one another (this can only be done if they og in with the same itunes account). My guess is that you are either swapping between iTunes accounts (something they won't let you do for reasons that I think are obvious) or you have no authorized the computers.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This. The OP needs to authorize the new computer. I've moved from several computers and never had a problem.

5. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

All my computer are authorized (4 of 5) and they all use the same apple ID. I've never had a different itunes account, and like I said, all the computers are authorized.

It's saying that it is "synced with a different itunes" library. This mosly happen when trying to manage apps or music or other things that can sync.

I tried to sync one of the ringtones I made - it went to sync it, and it sync'd the ringtone but erased all my music because "this devices is synced to another itunes library." I realize that I may have set it to manual sync, but now that I'm on a new computer, I can't change anything on it without having to start over.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You have a new computer and you didn't move your iTunes library over to it? All the phone wants is to sync with the same library, it doesn't matter which computer.

7. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Did you transfer all the info from your old computer to your new one?

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Oh, well I assumed you had already copied your music and ringtones over to your computer. For the apps, all you needed to do was right click on the iPhone icon in iTunes and select Transfer Purchases.

As stated above, you can also copy your library over and do things that way.