Can't find AT&T iPhone 6 128GB Space Grey anywhere in NYC, any tips?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MK25toLife, Nov 11, 2014.

1. MK25toLife macrumors regular

Hello,

It's now time for me to finally upgrade and I can't seem to find an AT&T iPhone 6 128GB Space Grey anywhere in NYC.

I'm running out of ideas, I need the phone in the next week before I go out of the country. I would appreciate any tips you have.

-Apple Store: all sold out (I have been going through the Apple Store app and checking inventory, even woke up at 4am this morning per a tip I saw)
    -AT&T Stores: all sold out
    -Best Buy: all sold out
    -Radio Shack: they tell me they only have 16GB

2. Orangechipper macrumors member

You are looking for the unicorn.

You will likely be using a case right? So why should the color matter? Try to find a gold or silver.

I'm stuck. Ordered the SG 6+ on 9/19 and still havent received yet. I wish i had picked a different color

3. skimcpip macrumors regular

istocknow.com

Apple stores update their stocks at 11am 2pm, 7pm, 2am. Make sure you have what you want in your cart and ready to check out with in-store pickup as soon as the update hits.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

+1 for the istocknow suggestion

HOWEVER, be aware that you can't order Next financing online for in-store pickup. What people have been doing is order with 2year contract upgrade to get it reserved and when in the store switch it around. Apple reps seem to be getting used to this based on friends experiences; just know that you may have to wait a few minutes in-store for eligibility to reset.

You also may consider ordering online for delivery depending on your departure date. My Oct 21 online order via Apple.com shipped on Friday Oct 24th and was in my hands Tues Oct 28th. (Space Gray 64GB iPhone6, T-Mobile unlocked) Apple's website claimed 7-10 business days to ship but the reality was much faster.

Plus if you're going out of the country, an unlocked device might be more useful anyway. The T-Mobile full price unlocked works fine on AT&T. Same phone, only difference is the SIM that came with it.

5. MK25toLife thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for istocknow.com it's great.

About 30 mins ago I spotted the "Unicorn" in the Stamford, CT Apple Store. I couldn't act on it right away but now that I went to buy it, it's gone!

:(:(:(

6. bruce0987 macrumors member

[/COLOR]just try to do pickup online, unless you are buying full price, in that case either buy tmobile or use iStocknow for instore stock. i got crazy lucky the other day 7 am with pickup online at 5th avenue for 64gb SG 6 plus.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Unicorns are rare and disappear quickly.

Absolute best tactic (other than just order for delivery and chill out for a week) is realize the restock waves tend to hit in the 15-20 minutes after 11am, 2pm, 7pm, and 2am Eastern time. Actual times vary. Prior to a wave get a window set up and your preferred config in your cart, go to the checkout screens and sit at the Delivery & Pickup Options screen where you can choose Ship or Pick up. (It's helpful to ensure you have shipping address and payment details already associated with your Apple Store account)

In another window watch istocknow for stocks refreshing as appropriate. When you start to see a wave hit switch windows back and click "Change Store" to look for any nearby stores (if lucky to have more than one accessible). Plug in your zipcode and click Search Stores to refresh.

If you get lucky and find one, proceed to complete the purchase immediately. Even this prepared you might be too slow and get the dreaded error out. Try again for another store as restock waves seem to stagger a little bit. Every so often you may need to back out and re-login to your Apple Store account.

Follow @istocknowcom twitter feed too.

8. skimcpip macrumors regular

Yup. You can't just let it sit in your cart. You have to move through the process immediately.

9. kioko91 macrumors regular

kioko91

Well if you're interested in pluses there's 128 space gray available in some stores. I'm after a Verizon model myself but it'd be an exchange.

10. MK25toLife thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately, still nothing.

I thought all the Apple stores replenish their stock every day? Doesn't seem to be the case, am I missing something?

11. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

If you have the time, you could do worse than go to your nearest Apple Store either shortly before they open, or around lunchtime. They keep phones for walk-in customers that do not appear on istocknow. I bought mine at my local Apple Store when the online inventory said out of stock.

12. themyst macrumors 6502

+1 - and the walk-ins can do Next without any issues.

13. skimcpip macrumors regular

Stocks are updated at 2, 11, 7 and 2 every day. You have to be on top of it as soon as the website updates (about 10 minutes after these times) and check out immediately. You can't just casually check at some random time and expect to get lucky.

14. bizack macrumors 6502

I've found that they're now replenishing on an ad-hoc schedule. Using istocknow.com is your best bet. I managed to snag a 6 Plus (128GB, Space Grey) this morning (there were only four in stock, which immediately disappeared).
    The 128GB models are becoming more difficult to find. Maybe production is being optimized for Black Friday.

15. MK25toLife thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone, I just went to the Apple Store in Grand Central and they told me that my best option would to be to get there when they open and I'll have a "very good chance" to get my phone.

16. mylexon20s macrumors regular

mylexon20s

Riverdale Target
    40 W 225th St
    Bronx NY 10463
    US
    (718) 733-7199

Currently has ATT 128GB iPhone 6 in Space Gray .. Go get it !!!

17. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

it's gone already.... lol hopefully OP got it....

i was using idevicechecker.com for a while, held a gold one in my hand and said screw it, it's going in a case anyway, whats it matter. drove to best buy to pick up a 16gb gold and they had literally just received a 128SG for at&t... couldn't resist the temptation even though it was double the capacity i really wanted... figured if i was gonna settle for something less that i didn't really want, i might as well settle for more...

18. cmichaelb, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I just ordered my SG 128GB iPhone 6 via AT&T 10/24 and recieved it 11/11. It looks like all you can do is check stores everyday.

----------

6+ seems much harder than get than the 6.

I never understand anyone who suggest just get silver or gold. They have white faces where as the Space Grey has a black face. That's whats key, not the back color.

19. MK25toLife thread starter macrumors regular

I have great news, I got my phone! Thanks to everyone who helped out, especially @mylexon20s b/c I went to the Riverdale Target and they had plenty (I think 5).

Below are my thoughts and experience since when I first started looking on Monday.

-istocknow is great in theory but it simply didn't work, I didn't get one alert so does this mean that there were literally no space grey 128gb at&t's? i doubt that having spoken to Apple Store employees who said they were available

-got to the grand central apple store at about 7:15am this morning and they had pretty much everything except my phone

-afterwards, i figured i would try to go to the at&t store by me just to check and they said they wouldn't be getting any until early December

-"Stocks are updated at 2, 11, 7 and 2 every day" - just from my experience I saw nothing that proved this to be true

-http://idevicechecker.com actually turned out being everything i was hoping istocknow would be, it showed that the Target I went to had it and then I went to the Target website to actually confirm and it was true

-On a whim I just went to the Target b/c their mobile division didn't open til 11am and I didn't want to wait, here's my experience from that...

-The entire process took entirely too long, probably at least 40 minutes, not complaining but it felt longer than necessary. The lady that helped me was super nice, but Target company policy is to sell you insurance, at first I tried to put up a fight but then I just took a $10 a month plan that I can cancel at anytime. If I would have fought it I'm sure I wouldn't have had to buy it. Here's what ticked me off the most though, the lady opens the box and takes out my iPhone. I was shocked, for all my three previous iPhones I was able to set up everything at home. I wanted to experience the "joy" of unboxing for myself. She said that was their policy so I just went with it. She made me make a call to see if the phone worked and then I was on my way. At the end of the day, I have no real gripes or complaints though, I got my phone and that's all that matters. Thanks again for everyone's help.

20. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Yeah, I bought an iPhone 4S from Target a couple of years ago, and it was (expectedly) not a great experience. I paid $200 as it was subsidized, but they charged me sales tax on a $700 phone, when the MSRP was $650. I complained on another visit and they gave me a $10 gift card to shut me up.

I thought Target Mobile is basically Radio Shack contracted to Target? That would explain the push to 'upsell' while you're there...?

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Where I live Friday night is the biggest night for receiving stock. A genius told me that stock is updated on line at 8 PM, which gave me plenty of time to be at the Apple Store 30 minutes before they opened Sat. morning. They had someone taking names and they reserved the phone for me and I had until 6 PM Saturday to pick it up. I did that twice. Once for a 6+ 128GB Silver and a 6 128GB Space Grey.

Good luck!

Edit: To be clearer, I walked up at 9:30 and they immediately took my name so I had the phone reserved for me within three minutes of arriving. The long line was for people buying unlocked phones. My line was 10 people deep and being the third person in that line I walked in at 10 AM and walked out at 10:15 with a new phone. Easy Peasy.

22. mylexon20s macrumors regular

mylexon20s

Awesome! Glad I could help!!

-Matt