Can't find good in-ear headphones to save my life...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by munckee, Jan 27, 2009.

1. munckee macrumors 65816

I had a pair of Shure E2-c's that I loved. When I got my iPhone, I "upgraded" to SE210's...and I HATE them. They don't stay in my ears at all (I even went so far as to fit the sleeves from my E2-c's to the SE's).

Can anyone recommend some decent in-ear headphones that are iPhone compatible and fit comparatively to the E2-c's? I'm not an audiophile; as long as they stay in my ears I'm happy. Looking to spend up to $120-ish...

2. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

:rolleyes:

Thanks, but if I just wanted to find them, I certainly could have googled them myself. The point of asking was for a recommendation based on similar fit...you know, something other people might be able to help with on a friendly forum like this...

3. jampat macrumors 6502a

Etymotic ER6 or ER6i, they sound great. As far as fit goes, that's a personal thing that nobody else can help you with, you just have to try them and see if they fit your ears.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The new Apple in ear headphones are great apparently.

5. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Everybody's got a right to their own ears, I guess, but I don't have any issues whatsoever with the fit of the SE210s. They stay in my ears easily for long periods. With my ears, the fit with the 'olives' foam tips is excellent.

6. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

7. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm glad they work for you. They're still barely better than useless for me.

8. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

All you need for a great fit is foam tips, i have the comply tips for my klipsch and vmoda. you dont even feel you have earphones in your ear like that. you can also try shures foam tips too.
    amazon is your friend.

9. The Red Wolf macrumors regular

The Red Wolf

Skull Candy

I'm partial to Skull Candy in ear headsets. They have great input range and on wire volume control. The also come in various price ranges as well as colour and style. Best part though are the in ear parts are removable and come in two to three various sizes depending on which model you get.

10. gothamm macrumors 6502a

head-fi.org/forums

i wouldnt recommend asking mac users for headphone advice, as most are clueless when it comes to this.

again, this isn't to bash...but after seeing many threads with people recommending bose headphones and the beats by monster (dr. dre), skullcandys, i am sadly lead to believe this.

the shure e2c's are treble oriented phones, and seems like that is the sound signature you prefer. Based on that, i'd really recommend giving the etymotic er6i's a go.

I personally have the klipsch image x5's and love them. ultracomfortable and balanced sound.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes. Clearly an $1100 monitor is the same as the OP's request of around $150.

I also doubt that if you are truly having this much trouble that a fully custom monitor would be the answer. A newer solution giving your price range might be either the Klipsch's or maybe try the new Monster Turbine. I, however, have no experience with the latter; but given your request they seem like maybe a better fit. Also, have you tried the foam sleeves?

12. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

The westone um1 have similar styling and are among the most comfortable IEMS around.

13. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

I'm definitely a fan of the new apple in-ear headphones.

14. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I'm a huge fan of my new Apple In-Ear buds. Great sound and great fit.

15. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

in-ears that dont get much recognition are ones from Denon like the AH-C551 and AH-C751. they are highly regarded on audiophile sites (like headfi.org)

I personally have the C551 and they are excellent. the etymotic er-6i are also great, but are much colder (i.e. analytical). the denons have a much warmer sound with stronger bass.

both will fit your budget

16. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Do what he said

17. DJJONES macrumors 6502

etymotic er6i

there the models i use with my ipod AT the gym.

blocks out a large amount of noise.
    sound quality is good bass is decent highs are good not great.

but heres where they shine.
    after owning them for over a year a half
    something went wrong, they would crackle and music would go on and off in the right bud and the left eventually
    im sure it was the mini plug

so i emailed etymotic they told me to ship it to them which i did costed me 2.11.

about a week later they sent me back a brand new pair. no question asked.
    even after the warranty was over.

im sure ultimate ears has some better models out that may sound better but ever since ety provided such great support and since there are only a few models it was easy to select one that i liked so i dont find my self upgrading anytime soon.

the cabling is very durable so is the shirt clip.

there are better choices out there then the ety er6i but for the price and durability they cannot be beat.
    the isolation is amazing also.
    i cant justify spending over 150 bucks on ipod headphones. these have worked out well for me.

18. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

I like my V-MODA bass freqs. I love the bass they provide. They have great bass and treble, but the mids are average. They only cost 50$ shipped, and they come with a lot of extra accessories(cable wrap manager, leather carrying case, 12 ear piece sizes and more). I got them in 2007 christmas, and they still work great. V-MODA also has FANTASTIC customer service.

19. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Sorry I'm in the same boat and gave up my search after trying and returning the new Apple in ears.:rolleyes:

20. jw2002 macrumors 6502

21. 1969cj5 macrumors member

Motorola

I know I will get it for this but I love my new motorola bluetooth headphones

22. Hates macrumors regular

Like some others have said Etymotic ER6is, which I mostly use in the gym

I also have their ER-4ps for daily/office use which are the best in-ear headphones I've ever had. Pricey but well worth the money IMHO.

23. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I was really surprised to discover how tinny the new Apple in-ear headphones are. It's back to the Shures for me.

24. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

How come nobody's recommended the Sennheiser CX300 in ear phones? They are great, block out noise unlike some Sony's I paid nearly £70.00 for (a complete rip off, for me anyway).

The Cx300s cost <£30.00 sometimes around 20 at least, but be careful on eBay or Amazon as there are a number of fakes going about.

I wholeheartedly recommend Sennheiser when it comes to Audio. I've got some HD-201's as well and they are awesome, but not really portable. :)