Can't find Santa Rosa MacBooks in Hong Kong ? HELP! Advice needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by spriter, Nov 7, 2007.

1. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

OK, here's the deal:

I'm in HK and need a MacBook in the next 7-10 days. They're much cheaper to buy in HK than UK by some GBP150-200, and many other places. I'm aware of the keyboard being different and potential issues if it goes wrong, it's OK.

However, I leave HK on Sunday (4 days) but cannot find a reseller who has the updated Santa Rosa MacBooks with Leopard. All have 'old' MBs and only with Tiger. They say they will get them sometime next week which is no use to me. If I buy the 'old' MB it'll immediately drop value and I might be better off buying elsewhere. However, I won't be in the UK for a while and am thinking of buying the SR MB from mainland China where I go next. Mainland China prices for Apple gear is equivalent to UK from what I've seen.

The HK Apple Store online has the newer line with est. ship of 24 hours but I'm not sure they'll deliver to a hotel. And if it doesn't arrive by Friday, I'm screwed.

Places I've tried in HK:
    Wan Chai computer center - few stalls here both say next week. One guy has used stock but only PowerPC macs.
    Star City (?) - TST, Kowloon, near the pier. Next week also.
    Another reseller near Canton Road says the same.

Anyone know where else I can try? Or have some advice?
    Is there an official Apple Store over here? :confused:

Right now, I'm leaning toward the updated MB from China.

Regards,
    spriter

2. kumbaya macrumors regular

this link lists all the hong kong resellers. call them!

i would start with new vision and then ultimate pc and mac gallery - it sounds like you've already talked to the designer group companies.

good luck!

3. spriter thread starter macrumors 65816

spriter

alright thanks. I'll start hassling some of those guys tomorrow and maybe call the apple store online number to see if they know if they're here yet. As good as the iPhone is, Using it for serious time online can take its toll!

Regards,
    spriter