Can't Free up Space on IPhone 4s by Deleting Photos

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Colgin, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Colgin macrumors member

I have a IPhone 4s 64g running IOS 5.0.1. Not jail broken.

My IPhone was almost completely full and I had over 20G of Photos (don't ask). To create space, ratherh than syncing with my regular photo library on my PC, I tried syncing to a mirror photo library that has duplicates but which have been compressed significantly but not so much that it should make any visible difference on a portable device. I first did this with my IPad 1 since I could not fit enough photos on it without this trick since the IPad did not compress photos nearly as much as my old IPhone 3GS did. The mirror folder is about 1/4 the size of the original photo folder.

However, after trying to sync to the new mirror directory, I still did not free up much space and not all the photos were copying onto the phone, even though we are talking the same exact pics but just smaller versions of them. Then I tried unchecking the Sync box in iTunes to just delete all photos. But both Itunes and my phone indicated 20G of photos even though now no photos were on the device. Putting aside the issue of the incorrect measurement of free space, the problem is that I cannot sync all my photos (the smaller size versions) because ITunes does not think there is enough space on my device. Instead it kind of picks and chooses which ones to copy over. My phone will show all the mirror folders I am trying to sync but like half of them are empty.

I have tried numerous phone reboots, relaunching ITunes etc. but no matter what I have tried I cannot get Ituneto think it has less than20G of photos and consequently I cannot copy the new smaller versions of the photos (and still have room to spare which was the point of all this).

Is there any thing left I can try without just restoring my phone. If i do that should I backup with no photos synced and restore from that backup or am I likely to have the same problem. Do I need to restore to factory to really clean out the phone and then restore from backup. I am hoping I don't have to reconfigure as a new phone.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Terrareign macrumors newbie