Can't get Compilations to work on my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sportsfrk214, Jan 2, 2012.

1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

So here's my incredibly annoying situation. I'm currently running an iPhone 4S on the latest iOS. I have just 1 compilation album on my device, and its annoying the heck out of me. It's a "fake" compilation album I've put together of classic Christmas songs. I have 44 songs, all tagged with the artist's name and the album name (all have the same album name, "Christmas Classics"). But no matter what settings I implement I cannot get the songs to appear how I want them to appear on my iPhone.

I want two very simple things:
    1) When I go to the albums view on my iPhone, I want to see one album named "Christmas Classics" with all 44 songs in it.
    2) When I go to the artists view, and I click on an Artist that has a song on that album, I want the Christmas Classics album to appear alongside their other albums.

This seems incredibly simple and I feel like I've done it in the past but no matter what I do I can't get it to work the way I want. Perhaps they've made a change to iOS? Because here's what I've tried and the problems I've had:

1) Album Artist: (Blank), Complitation: No
    Under these settings, my 2nd requirement works, but the 1st doesn't. In this case, when you go to albums, the same album is shown 44 times, once for each artist and containing only that artist's 1 song.

2) Album Artist: (Blank), Compilation: Yes
    Under this setting, my 1st requirement works, but the 2nd doesn't. Here, when you go to the artist's name, the album and song aren't there AT ALL! In this case the song is only accessible through "Songs" or "Albums", but not "Artists."

3) Album Artist: Various Artists, Compilation: Yes
    Again, 1st requirement is good. 2nd isn't. In this case, there is one listing in artists for "Various Artists", but the songs can't be accessed by going to the individual artist.

If anyone has any idea how to fix this, if it even is fixable, I'd love to hear it. Sorry for the lengthy post I just wanted to make sure I was thorough. I think iOS has changed because I've never had this problem before. Thanks!

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I just change the Genre to Holiday, create a smartlist and I'm done. The smartlist picks up any songs under the genre "Holiday".

I have a few compilations that don't show up well, so this way is quick and simple. None of the selecting the compilation window.

The only way to get the compilations to work imo is that the it has been labelled in CDDB database as such.

:cool: