Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
On a mid 2010 i7 iMac, going from 10.10.5 to 10.11 (with all peripherals disconnected).

I can't get El Capitán to finish the install--

Twice this has happened, with identical results: once on an internal volume and once on an external FW volume.

Short History:

All seems to be going well, the DL was uneventful as was most of the install. But then, during the second restart, the installer stalls (hangs?) with about 7 minutes estimated time remaining.

Two hours later, no progress or change.

I manually restarted, but that always reverts to the same previously stalled window.

From a different volume, I could see that System Preferences identified the startup disk with El Capitán on it, but I still can’t get the install to complete.

I tried repairing the El Capitán volume with Disk Warrior, but that did no good.

What am I doing wrong? :(

Wheelie4

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
NC, USA
I experience the exact same thing yesterday. I had to force shutdown three different times (waited about 15 minutes after each restart before I shut it down again) and start up again before it finally brought me to the desktop. Haven't experienced any problems so far due to this.

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
Many thanks, Wheelie4. Unless some other great insight develops, I'll give your idea a go; can't hurt. And then, tomorrow, post back of my success (or not).

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
I booted in to Safe Boot mode and then installed from there. After that, easy-peasy.

But now AOL/Mail won't accept my PW. I know I am using the correct PW and have even cut & pasted it.

Any suggestions?

P.S. Problem solved. I merely deleted the problem account from Mail, and then recreated it.

Thanks again for the hand-holding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wheelie4
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.