Can't get iPhone unlocked from AT&T because Security restrictions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vampireszombies, Aug 3, 2012.

1. vampireszombies macrumors 6502

I bought an iPhone 4S from craigslist.
    I've had it for awhile now and its been working fine.
    I chatted with AT&T today to try and see if I'm eligible to have it unlocked.
    He said OK and asked for my IMEI # and then said this:

"The unlock code for this device is unavailable due to security restrictions based on the device's history. You may want to return the device and/or provide feedback to the seller. Care should be taken when purchasing devices from non-authorized sources as no validation can be made as to the history of such devices."

I asked to elaborate a little bit on the security restrictions.
    Reply I get:

"As a security measure the information is restricted as proprietary information"

Does this mean the iPhone was stolen or something? I asked who I could talk to get this information but he kept saying they/he cant say.

????:confused:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Maybe it was reported lost or stolen.
    But you can probably still get it unlocked by using one of those IMEI unlock services.
    But its not free or cheap.

3. vampireszombies thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, is there a specific way to confirm it was stolen?
    oh god, If I indeed just bought a stolen iPhone, what do I do?? I have no contact to the person I bought it from. :confused:

4. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

[​IMG]

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I doubt there's a way to confirm it but what can you do?
    There's tons of stolen items sold on ebay, CL and many places online every day. You can only ask so much and trust your gut feeling but it happens.

6. 617aircav Suspended

It's not confirmed that it was stolen, so you don't need to do anything. The only problem is you will never get AT&T to unlock it.

7. vampireszombies thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah so basically don't ask AT&T anything about the phone because they wont help me because of its status.
    It has the Apple warranty until January, I'm assuming Apple won't help me with anything on it either? Will they take the phone away if I take it to them for anything?:confused:

^^Thanks for that pic btw lol it greatly helped my nerves..... :(

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, Apple will still service it if you have any problems with it in the future.
    They dont get involved into any issues like that with lost or stolen items.

9. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

AT&T should be able to tell you if it was reported stolen. It is a 4S and AT&T won't unlock it if it hasn't been 2 years, which it's only a 10 month old phone.

10. vampireszombies thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay thats good to know since my nearest Apple Store will be a long drive and don't want it to be a waste if I need to have it fixed, thank you.

Yeah I was actually expecting them to tell me that it wasn't eligible because it hasn't been on my plan for 2 years, but they tell me because security reasons and thats what worries me. I wish I could return it to be honest, I rather not be involved.

11. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

It's not stolen AT&T would have told you and it wouldn't be able to be activated. If your worried find something wrong with it and have apple replace it.