cant get my AEBS to connect to internet via a router, using virgin media UK

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kwfl, Oct 20, 2007.

1. kwfl macrumors 6502

i received my AEBS yesterday, sitting very nicely on my table (realxed, hardly doing anything)

i have virgin media (UK) broadband service through a cable modem

i connect this modem to a normal router, it works nicely

but when i connect the AEBS to the router LAN or to the modem directly, it does not work

i have managed to set up the AEBS for wireless network and printer sharing

however, i cant get it to deliver the internet to my Macs

it flashes amber (seems like yellow to me)

anyway,

i used automatic setting as DHCP
    i have read the manual, all it says, open airport utility and click continue and follow the screens.

anyone can resolve this.
    thanks

i want something regarding connecting it through the router, as i will have to do it that way.

2. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

one problem is solved

i can now connect by ethernet but not via airport.

anyone can suggest special settings needed for it to work?
    thanks

EDIT, the LED is now stable green

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'm racking my brain but can't think of any reason why it shouldn't just work.

My old style AEBS is plugged into another modem/router and aside from disabling the DCHP on the other router, I haven't done anything to the setup.

My mother's Airport Express is set up with a Virgin cable modem to the Express - and again, I don't recall having to tweak anything to make it work.

You're getting internet via ethernet and you can use the network to print from wirelessly. I'm not seeing anything obvious but just wanted to let you know that others were reading your posts and trying to help.

4. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks buddy
    most appreciated

it is really confusing

u mentioned turning off the DHCP in the router, i didnt touch the settings for that router and it is working now through the AEBS.

very weired working via ethernet but not via airport (my MBP hooked to the table, not a good idea :confused: )

anyway,

i will try to solve it

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Have you tried restarting the AEBS & the cable modem at the same time?

I had the amber light on mine until I restarted them both together, it should be a green light if everything is connected correctly.

6. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

something else, maybe worth mentioning

in both me macs

if i go to sys prefs and go to network

ethernet light is green and i get a network address

airport light is amber
    saying
    (airport is connected to the network. airport does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the internet)
    this is the case whether Ethernet is plugged or unplugged.

7. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

it is green now,

but airport is still cannot read an IP address.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Restart the cable modem and then once its back on try restarting the airport express.

If that doesn't just work, try configuring the airport express with the cable modem on and plugged in.

9. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

i am not connecting my AEBS to the modem
    it is connect to the router which is connected to the modem.

however, i will restart both of em.

and it is airport extreme (with ethernet ports in it)

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why don't you connect the AEBS to the NTL modem?

If you want to have both your AEBS not connected to the router then you'll need to use it to extend the wireless network, however I'm not sure how that'll work.

11. gigiuk macrumors newbie

Have you checked the wireless security and the DHCP settings on the BS?

Launch Airport Admin Utility, look at the Airport tab and check what wireless security it has set up (if any) and ensure that matches what's configured on the Macs' Airport network settings (issue may be old Airport settings on your macs). Also check the network tab and ensure that Distribute IP addresses is checked and Share a single IP address with DHCP and NAT is selected, if not change that. Then turn off and back on Airport on the macs via the Airport status icon on the menu bar.

12. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

i disabled security on my BS (anyway the macs connect but they cant get ineternet)

''check the network tab and ensure that Distribute IP addresses is checked and Share a single IP address with DHCP and NAT is selected''

i ran on these settings once but i cant find them anymore :p

call apple, maybe they have better guesses (or tell me steps, like go to the little blue apple u see on the far top left corner on ur screen and click on it ..... :D)

13. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

i am a student and sharing these stuff with other ones, (i have two macs that are n-capable and i dont want to run my BS with the compatablity mode where i get slow speeds when my housemates connect by their only b-capable dvivices)

however, the BS is delivering internet through ethernet which make me think that it the BS is not configured correctly for wireless networking or the macs aint.
    i think the BS is not configured correctly cuz i managed to connect my macs to an insecure neighbor's network and worked brilliantly.
    thanks again.

14. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Well I'm having the exact same problem...exact. Did you ever fix it? I can't figure it out.