Can't get Verizon IP5 replaced at Apple?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacBreezy, Sep 29, 2012.

1. MacBreezy macrumors regular

Let me start by saying that I have had my new black iPhone 5 for a week now and I love it. Everything about it is better than the 4s in my opinion. My only issue is I had some problems with the aluminum on the back and side of my phone. Some scratches I found when I got the phone home and started to really look at it.

Today was the first day I had time to get to an apple store so I made a genius appointment and went to get my phone replaced. The genius guy took a look at the phone and said yeah we have seen a couple of phones like this. It looks like you can get a replacement. Then he says your going to need to go to Verizon and get the phone replaced because they would not be able to replace it there. He said if I had bought it at an apple store or if it was an AT&T phone he could replace it but since I bought it at Verizon and because it was a Verizon phone they could not replace it.

My question is have any of you guys had this problem? What does it matter where I got the phone. It came from them originally so why cant they replace it? Is there something different about the Verizon phone and the AT&T phone? I thought the phones were the same since the 4 came out?

I checked at the Verizon stores in my area and none of them will have the iPhone 5 in stock until Oct. 19th. I don't mind waiting I just don't understand why Apple couldn't replace it.

2. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

I just had my Verizon one replaced yesterday without a problem. Maybe Verizon also has replacement stock like the apple stores do, so you won't have to wait.

3. MacBreezy thread starter macrumors regular

Where did you have it replaced? Verizon or Apple Store? They do not have any in stock I have called every Verizon store that's local to me.

4. Fanboi4life macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

This was my experience: I preordered my IP5 online through Verizon.com and received my phone on launch day. My phone came scuffed so I made an appointment with the Genius Bar at the Apple Store near me and had zero problems replacing my phone. The entire transfer process was done by the employee and I had zero questions asked. We opened the first white box and that one was scuffed as well, the second box had a flawless phone. The guy knew about the cosmetic problem, and was more than to help.

Can't imagine why your local Apple store couldn't help you...

5. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Mine was replaced at Apple. Keep in mind they cannot tell you they have replacement stock, they just tell you they're out of retail units.

6. bmik33 macrumors member

This..i had no problems

7. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Go back in the store and hopefully you will talk to another employee that's more understanding.

8. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I had 2 of mine replaced and they were very fast with next day shipping so if you don't have an apple store near you just give them call cause they will replace Verizon Iphones

9. MacBreezy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help. I also just called apple customer care and they said they had no idea why they could not replace it for me. Made another appointment for this evening. I'll go back and try it again.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

The Verizon iPhone 5 is different from the AT&T iPhone 5. Last year the phones were identical (except that the Verizon one had the CDMA radio activated), but this year they are two different models. The Verizon model supports Verizon's LTE bands as well as a few in Europe, while the AT&T model supports AT&T's LTE bands in North America (which some Canadian carriers also use).

It is generally easier for the company that sold you the phone to exchange it (because payment and inventory systems match). Since, unlike with AT&T, swapping a Verizon phone involves more than just swapping the SIM card, it's possible that the store manager put in place a policy for the Verizon phones.

However, my advice would be to try another Apple Store if there is one in your area to see if they will exchange it. Also check to see if there is a Verizon store that has replacement stock. Note that some of the replacement phones that Apple Store has are scratched (that's at least what some people are reporting). If all else fails, just go back to Verizon and have them approve a return and note it in their system so that you don't need to worry about the 30-day return period (i.e. you will still be able to process the exchange if the store doesn't get its shipment in until after the 30 days has run out on your phone).

11. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

Yeah that's really strange. I haven't replaced my phone yet (and I don't think I will since I'm afraid of getting a worst one and mine isn't that bad) but the Genius I got had absolutely no problem putting my serial number down for a 60 day window to snag a replacement at the Apple Store. He just couldn't do my replacement at that moment because the only phones they had in store at that time were Sprint.

12. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

This happened to me last year when I bought my 4. Apple (should) be able to exchange the phone, but you'll get a refurbished phone. In order to make a "full swap with new box", you'll need to return the phone to Verizon. Being that all of Apple's refurbished phones are new, it really doesn't matter.

13. ProMod macrumors 6502a

Northlake store? I had the EXACT same experience. I bet we even got the same "Genius". Check out my post here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1454749&referrerid=64129

14. ProMod macrumors 6502a

Did you go back? I'm very interested to hear the outcome.