Can't have Lion copy a lot of files at once?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gregintosh, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Okay, so this is a weird problem. I have a few external hard drives containing iMovie stuff, iTunes backups, etc. and I wanted to put all their contents onto a single 3TB hard drive.

So I select the folders (some of which are hundreds of gigs) and copy and paste them into the big hard drive. Clearly, that will take several hours so I leave the room.

When I come back, it looks like its done, but not all the files have copied over. Usually maybe 50-70GB of files are copied over, the rest of the files are "greyed out" and have 0 bytes. But the copying progress bar is gone and it appears its over.

I have to end up copying files one by one to ensure they get copied over.

Any idea of what the problem is?

I Never had such a problem in Snow Leopard before.

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Check the console for errors.

Also, when I am doing large copies like that I usually revert to the shell and use rsync. It's much faster and dependable.

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Yes I agree. For copies like this I use ditto or rsync.

4. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Same problem

It seems like the same issue as discussed here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3204529?start=0&tstart=0

Mine throws up some sort of error always and says the operation cannot be completed. This makes transferring files tedious, because I have to constantly check inside folders and verify file sizes and such to see if everything copied over..