Can't hear calls 80% time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by purpleparrotuk, May 12, 2013.

1. purpleparrotuk macrumors 6502

Hello

I have had an Iphone 5 for about 8 months now. I don't make a lot of calls on it normally but recently have been job hunting so make many calls a day. I have noticed a big problem where when I dial out the phone looks like it has connected but I can't hear anything. So I hang up and redial, sometimes it works sometimes it takes a few goes.

I googled the problem and noticed someone said toggle the speakerphone mode on and off and voila, that works all the time when I can't hear to save me hanging up.

I have tried resetting the phone and taking the sim in and out but still the same. I am thinking about restoring my iphone and taking it to the apple store this morning. Is it faulty hardware? I notice some people have swapped phones and the problem persists.

Someone else said try turning the bluetooth off, but I need this on all the time to sync with my fitbit so that isn't an option for me.

Thanks

2. AppleMark macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

When you say reseting do you mean hard reset?

In any case, if you are going to restore it before you go to the Apple store you could save yourself some time and check that a total restore has not rectified the issues.

If it was my phone and seeing you have had the phone for 8 months (1 year warranty?), then I would take it back for replacement.

As issues like these often increase over time and you do not want this issue persisting out of warranty period.

3. cynics macrumors G3

Just take it back to Apple and get it replaced before your warranty expires.

4. purpleparrotuk thread starter macrumors 6502

They didn't replace it they have changed the receiver to try it before they replace the whole phone.

5. moonman239 macrumors 68000

6. purpleparrotuk thread starter macrumors 6502

How can it be if it works as soon as i press speakerphone, that's nothing to do with the carrier.

7. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Oh, right. I missed that part. :eek:

8. darster Suspended

9. purpleparrotuk thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't tried it yet. They only replaced the receiver today. Give me a few days to try it.

10. purpleparrotuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Took my phone in to apple last weekend and they replaced the receiver. It is still not working so taking it back in again. They should replace the whole unit this time. Surely it can't be a three signal or sim problem if it works when you toggle the speakerphone? I am concerned the new one may do the same :-(

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I had the same issue, and the phone finally stopped working except on speakerphone....One call to my Apple Rep and the phone was replaced next day. One thing I noticed with the new one....The silver grill covering the speaker at the top of the phone has obviously been changed. It's now more recessed and is black. The replacement has an even better screen too. Take it back and get a swap out.

12. beeinformed macrumors 6502

I concur with you as my replacement phone, overall is much better than my old one.