Can't Import From iPhone XS From Camera

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by dandrewk, Sep 24, 2018.

1. dandrewk macrumors 6502

I'm trying to use Mojave's camera continuity by importing an image directly from my iPhone XS to my iMacs' desktop screen.

When I right click, I see the "import from iPhone or iPad" option. If I click iPad, the iPad's camera app opens up, I take a photo, accept the photo and it imports immediately to my desktop.

However, even though if "sees" my iPhone XS, when I click on import nothing happens and it times out. I've rebooted both devices with to no avail.

Anyone else seeing this?

2. Johan61 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2018 ---
    Hi,
    I have the exact same problem. With my MacbookAir and my iPad Pro, continuity camera workts fine. But with my iPhone 6S nothing happens and it gives a time out.

3. Oridus macrumors 6502a

Oridus

Same, I get the following after I snap the shot on my iPhone XS Max.

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 11.41.59 AM.png

4. Sir Ruben macrumors 68000

Sir Ruben

When I chose 'take' photo' via my Mac, and then reached for my phone it was unresponsive and appeared to be off. Couldn't turn it back on either so I put it on the charger and the screen lit up with 70% charge.

5. Jmschultz22 macrumors newbie

Jmschultz22

Same issue here. No problem at all with my 2nd Gen iPad Pro 12.9 but I cannot get this brand new Xs Max to work...really frustrating. I was looking forward to this feature!

6. Wingzfan61 macrumors member

Had this issue yesterday. Only fix I could find was wiping the phone. Now it works perfectly. Tried everything else you could imagine but nothing but a reset fixed it.

7. Oridus macrumors 6502a

Oridus

Did you restore from a backup?

8. Wingzfan61 macrumors member

Nope, setup as new. Typically I do this anyways after a major update.

9. marioliv66@ macrumors member

You made a new installation of your iphone?

I have an ipad pro 9.7 "with IOS 12 and the menu" import from ipad or iphone "is grayed out.Do you know what communication technology is used for this service? Bluetooth? Wifi? Network? Id Apple?) Because on my Mac Pro 5.1 I my wifi card is no longer recognized (at least I can not find it in Network Setting.The Mac is nevertheless Ethernet on the same network as ipad (wifi)

10. Wingzfan61 macrumors member

Yeah I reset the phone to factory and set it up as new device.

Im not 100% sure what technology camera handoff uses but I believe it primarily uses bluetooth. Its the same technology that allows handoff from safari and messages. Those 2 handoffs were working fine before I reset my phone but the camera wouldn't. I would say, if handoff works for other apps, then the camera handoff will work as well but you're probably going to have to reset the phone unless someone comes along and finds another fix.

11. dandrewk thread starter macrumors 6502

More oddity - I updated to Mojave on my MacBook, and my wife's iPhone 6s worked fine with camera continuity. Then she updated to an XS... and now it doesn't work. In fact, the MacBook cannot even "see" the XS.

12. Wingzfan61 macrumors member

Is the new XS signed into the same Apple ID as the MacBook?

13. Jmschultz22 macrumors newbie

Jmschultz22

I did the same thing. My iPhone X works without an issue. iPhone Xs Max won’t work. Reset network settings, checked all handoff settings, same Apple iCloud ID. I assume it must be a glitch that may be corrected in an update like Bluetooth was on the iPhone 6....I hope!

14. Oridus macrumors 6502a

Oridus

So mine just randomly started working today. Don't know if anybody else has gotten theirs to work. XS Max here.

15. Jmschultz22 macrumors newbie

Jmschultz22

So, after doing some research I found these instructions:

1. Finder -> Go to Folder... -> /Library/Preferences/

2. Delete the file com.apple.Bluetooth.plist

3. Reboot

4. Enjoy.

Now, I copied an pasted the /Library/Preferences/ into the Go To Folder Finder Window, then I was able to find the com.apple.Bluetooth.plist file, deleted and it worked.

Hope this helps out anyone else in this thread!!!

16. Chocky II macrumors newbie

This is what finally worked for me. (Thanks, jmschultz!) After restarts (multiple) of both iMac and iPhone Xs Max made the problem worse (the "Insert from iPhone" contextual menu disappeared completely) deleting the com.apple.Bluetooth.plist file and restarting fixed the issue. I am now able to use both my iPhone Xs Max and 6s Plus as Continuity Cameras.

17. hemhuayra macrumors newbie

hemhuayra

Worked for me. Thanks you bro

18. ventmore macrumors 6502a

Thanks for this!

Continuity has never worked between my mac and iPhone, but it's now working perfectly.