Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmister

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
I'm currently on Sierra for all my macs, because my 2012 cMBP uses a RAID 0 made up of two SSDs (one in the drive space, the other where the superdrive was).

Currently High Sierra, unlike OSes before it, does not support installing on RAID. From what I can tell, it is not only because of the switch to APFS, because even if I try to force it to install as HFS+ it still won't do it.

I have also tried installing High Sierra to a hard drive, which would of course leave it HFS+, and then clone it over to the RAID array. I met with no success. I only tried it because I'd love to be on HS, and I had read accounts online that this worked. It did not seem to work for me.

At this point I am a little despairing. I wonder if Apple is quietly intending to end RAID support, perhaps because with APFS and RAID 0 my six year old MBP would get I/O speeds that are too good. I've logged this in Apple's forums and filed trouble tickets, as have many other people.

Every time a new High Sierra point update comes up, I hope they'll fix it...but I'm beginning to think I'm stranded here. It's sad because it can't be that hard to support, and it's not as though it will keep me from upgrading forever...this MBPs lifetime is running out as it is.

If anyone is in this situation, or has advice about actually making the upgrade work, I'm all ears. Would love to try out High Sierra.

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
I'm looking for the answer to this one too.

Last I heard, we were waiting for an update which would enable the installation on a RAID system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.