Can't JB iPhone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DIYEpicFail, Oct 30, 2011.

1. DIYEpicFail, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

DIYEpicFail macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

I am trying to jailbreak an iPhone 3g on 4.2.1 for a friend and I just can't get it to work. I've tried a couple of different versions of Redsn0w and even pwnagetool. When I use redsn0w I get a boot loop, it just stays on the Apple logo until I put it into restore mode and restore the firmware. When I try to load a pwnagetool .ipsw the restore fails and I have to restore it with stock firmware. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks in advance.

-DIYEpicFail

2. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

Have you tried Greenpois0n?

It provides an untethered JB, more info at iClarified.com

3. DIYEpicFail, Oct 31, 2011

DIYEpicFail thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast response. I just tried to use greenpois0n and it didn't even recognize that the iPhone was connected. I put it into DFU mode (I've jailbroken enough devices in the past to know that it was in DFU mode, please don't tell me that I did it wrong) so I don't know what the deal is. It really doesn't matter too much though, thanks for the help anyways.

4. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

I just jailbroke my iPhone3G last week to give away.

restored it to stock 4.2.1 firmware. Used latest redsn0w to jailbreak. Done. No issues.

5. OCJeff macrumors regular

I just did this last week as well. Took about 45 minutes. I used Sn0wbreeze 2.2.1 on Windows, with IOS 4.2.1.

It's actually quite slow though, so I may consider moving to an earlier version for performance. Not sure which one would work the best.

Link to Instructions

6. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I jailbroke mine with Redsn0w 0.9.6b4

You probably already know this but you need the jailbreaking software aswell as the stock iOS version, I got mine from here ; http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

Redsn0w worked like a charm... But I downgraded to 3.1.3 and installed the Whited00r firmware mod as the performance is so much better and it enables full iOS 4 features, and they're currently making an iOS 5 version

Hope this helps!

7. DIYEpicFail, Oct 31, 2011

DIYEpicFail thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Sn0wbreeze worked perfectly.

I used Whited00r when I had an iPhone 2G, I think it was version 4.4.1. It was pretty cool, but in this case I think compatibility with more recent apps is more important.

Thanks everybody!

8. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

i tried whited00r but it was based on 3.1.3 which many apps today don't support, rather annoying.

So i use 4.2.1 and optimized it by removing a bunch of unused Launch Daemons and shadow texture files etc. It sped up the iPhone nicely. I would almost say close to 3.1.3 speed.

9. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

No way man! The iPhone 2G stops at version 3.1.3 haha.

10. DIYEpicFail thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well yeah, I figured that went without saying. Whited00r assigns version numbers to the different iterations of its modded 3.1.3 firmware. Those version numbers don't have anything to do with Apple's numbers. That said, I was stating that I had 3.1.3, whited00r version 4.4.1 because the other guy brought it up.