Can't keep external monitor video feed on after Macbook lid is closed

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by brasskey, Feb 12, 2012.

1. brasskey macrumors regular

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I just can't figure out how to keep the computer from going into sleep mode when I have an external monitor connected and the lid on the Macbook is closed.

The specs on my Macbook are as follows:
    Late 2008 13" Aluminum Macbook
    2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
    OS X Lion 10.7.3

I am connecting to an older Westinghouse LCD TV with no problems. I am going from the Macbook Mini DisplayPort to the TV with a Monoprice Mini DisplayPort --> DVI adapter. The picture comes across great on the TV but will not stay on once the Macbook is closed. I did some research and found that the external display should automatically stay on with OS X Lion. That's not the case for me. I also read that if a key is pressed on an external keyboard once the lid is closed, this will wake the external monitor. I connected an external keyboard and tried pressing a key, but that also didn't work for me. Lastly, I tried InsomniacX, but it didn't work either.

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong? Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. brasskey thread starter macrumors regular

I'll look into those others. Thanks.

I've already been to that site. I tried what it suggested before my initial post,

"When you close the lid:
    In OS X Lion, the external display will change to a blue screen, then will show your desktop.
    In Mac OS X v10.6.8 and earlier, wake the computer up by clicking the mouse button or by pressing a key on your external keyboard.
    You should now be able to use your Apple portable as you normally would, with a USB keyboard and mouse."

Neither (automatically recognized by Lion or pressing a key on an external wired keyboard) worked for me.

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Do you have a different brand mini-display port to DVI cable ? Maybe that's the problem. I've heard about some Monoprice cables being kinda funky.

Also. does the TV have HDMI ? If so try a mini-displayport to HDMI cable.

5. brasskey thread starter macrumors regular

I don't. I have a Mini DisplayPort --> VGA though. I'll try that.

No it doesn't. But, I tried a Mini DisplayPort --> HDMI cable on my living room TV and the same thing happened (couldn't keep external monitor on after closing Macbook).

All cables I have are Monoprice. I guess that could be the problem, but it's weird that all three would be bad.