Can't login to iMessage on my fresh install of Mountain Lion!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by arrfenwoof, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arrfenwoof macrumors member

Please help if you can! I'm at my wits end. Spent hours getting Mountain Lion installed on my MacBook... Finally get it installed, all updates done, open Messages app, enter my Apple ID and Password and I get "Your Apple ID can't be used to sign in at this time. Please contact iMessage Support." It also gives me a "Customer ID" Very strange. I've logged into the App Store, iCloud, FaceTime and the AppleID.apple.com website and everything is working just fine. Even tried changing my password, still no dice. Added a payment method to my App Store account, no dice. Went as far to create a NEW Apple ID, still not logging me in! Thanks in advanced!

-Chad

2. WildCard^ macrumors regular

You did a lot of extra troubleshooting. If your appleid works on that macbook with icloud and facetime, that would have been proof enough for me that the issue isn't the id.

I googled for your error, and came up with:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4135815?start=0&tstart=0

I read through the 3 pages of conversation, and it appears to be something on their end on the registration side. There were some that mentioned having an extra account, a mac.com or me.com account? It is confusing, but everyone had in common:
    1) issue came out when upgrading to mountain lion
    2) appleid worked for facetime and other things, just not imessage.

Once the registration is unblocked on their end, or the duplication deleted, it will work.

3. arrfenwoof thread starter macrumors member

Ah... I'm kind of stuck at what to do now. Contemplating doing another reinstall but really don't want to end up in the same place. Figured maybe creating a new ID would ensure that there were no hangups in my old ID, duplications and whatnot. It gave me a Customer Number and the 1800 number for iMessage Support... Contemplating calling but I used MLPostFactor to get ML on my MacBook.

4. WildCard^ macrumors regular

I didn't know what MLPostFactor was so I googled it. Apparently it's some sort of beta hack to get Mountain Lion installed on older machines? I suppose you left that out so that you would get a response that doesn't immediately point at the obvious answer.

Why do you want ML on your old MB so much? Why not just Lion? Doesn't it still give you imessage, facetime, and icloud? What's the draw towards 10.8 vs 10.7?

5. arrfenwoof thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately Lion doesn't have iMessage. My iPhone died on me so it would be really great to get iMessage working on my Mac.

6. WildCard^ macrumors regular

Oh, my mistake. I thought Lion had the whole suite of apps including imessage.

Maybe it would be best to post your question on the MLPostFactor page. Or, none of the duplicate account mentions in my posted thread are relevant to you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.