Can't make heads or tails out of file size reports on OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Krupke, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Krupke, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

Krupke macrumors member

I'm new to OSX, so I don't know... is transferring files supposed to be a thoroughly confusing process? If so, I think its working. I'm copying files between two iMacs (one Snow Leopard, the other Mountain Lion). "GetInfo" tells me the folder I copied from the ML machine is "13.71gb, for ZERO items" (yeah, it really says "0"). The copied folder on the SL machine says its 26.1gb, for 2,292 items. That's no small difference, that. And if I select all the items within the ML folder, it says I've selected 28 items. But when I start copying those items, it says 21 items are being copied.

Which one's lying to me? It's like that with every folder I am copying. So I have no idea how to confirm that the folders and their contents that I am copying, are copying 100% completely between the various drives and iMacs. Shouldn't they have resolved showing accurate file size calculations by OS I??

BTW, I noticed the same huge file size discrepancy when copying files from a Windows drive over to a Mac drive. So I originally thought the problem was only due to differences in the Win and Mac file system.

These are supposed to be the copies of the same folder!:

[​IMG]

2. Krupke thread starter macrumors member

Let's see.... over one thousand, two hundred and eighteen people viewed this post.... and not one has a clue as to why simple folder size comparisons vary wildly on OSX. Wow. Just wow. :eek: And I thought it was just me that was clueless...

Onward and upward....

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Folder size comparison's don't normally vary so much. This is not a "feature" of OS X. This is a problem that is particular to your setup.

I'm not sure what the cause or the solution might be, but I would certainly verify all disks involved.