Can't move pictures, music, movies and documents folders to other HDD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pullman, Jul 18, 2008.

1. pullman macrumors 6502

pullman

Hi

I want to move my pictures, movies, music and documents folders to another internal drive.

I read in this post that it should be a simple manoeuvre to move the pictures folder to another location and replace the pictures folder in the old home folder with an alias pointing to the pictures folder in the new location. I thought perhaps I can follow that procedure also for the other folders.

However, it doesn't work. I can only copy the respective folder to the second harddrive. Even holding in CMD will not remove the + sign. Also, even after having copied the folder, I am unable to move the old folder from my home folder to trash. The error message is that the folder can't be modified or deleted because it is required by Mac OS X.

What am I doing wrong? I'm running 10.5.4.

Thank you
    /p

2. sboerup macrumors 6502

Bump, its an old thread, but I'm wanting to do the same thing.

I have a new SSD drive that I want the Library, Applications and any system files to be on the SSD drive, for obvious reasons. I want to only move my data: Documents, Movies, Music, Pictures, Downloads, all to another drive.

I've been reading and reading and nothing seems to be working like I want. I know that "symbolic links" are whats needed vs an alias, but I can't get that to work.

I can't simply move the entire "home" folder (thats easy to do) because that will move any necessary system / application support files to a slower drive. As I'm trying to maximize the benefits of the new SSD, all system/applications/library files need to stay on the boot drive.

Any help is much appreciated!

3. nicolasmasset macrumors regular

Check this out.

It says that all applications/system/libraries stay on the boot drive, it's just the user home folder that gets moved. I think I'm going to do that myself!

4. sharkymac macrumors newbie

Old thread. I wonder if someone managed to do what Sboerup had been asking?

5. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Moving the whole home folder as described in the link in nicolasmasset's post is the most hassle free method. If you want move select folders such as documents, downloads ,etc then you'll have to delete the originals in terminal and use symlinks.