Can't open office 2011 after deleting office 2008...mac crashing a lot!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jumbb, Oct 27, 2011.

1. jumbb macrumors regular

Hi!

I installed Office 2011 on tuesday, and today I saw Office 2008 was still in my applications, so i moved it to the trash and emptied it...since then I can't open any office app or any office document, did I did something wrong?

Additionally, my two-year-old 13''mbp has been running really slow, I get the colored beach ball a lot, on wednesday it took 45 minutes for my mac to turn on with 30 minutes of it stuck in the opening white screen with the mac logo, safari crashes on various websites, I can't even open Top Sites without it crashing and me having to force it to quit, and Firefox is even worse!

Maybe it's a whole problem with office that's causing all of it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Firstly

You almost certainly have corrupt disk permissions there. Run disk utility verify the disk, then click verify disk permissions then click repair disk permmisaons . As to the Office insulation id be inclined to start again. There are quite a few apps around that properly remove installed files, but MS is the worst, and dragging it the trashcan will only have made matters worse....:
    http://appcleaner.en.softonic.com/mac

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2398768

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes and how! Office 2008, like the MacOS X versions of Office before it, requires the use of Microsoft's Remove Office uninstaller. It is found in the Office Additional Tools folder. That said, simply trashing Office should not have caused the problems that you described. I'm guessing that these problems are due to other foul-ups that have as yet gone unmentioned.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Which Is

Precisely why I posted the link.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, there's not. In most cases, app removal software such as AppCleaner doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

6. jumbb thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Veryfying the disc worked, but Office is still not working...

----------

Yeah...the problem is I don't have the disc for both office 2008 or 2011, they are both from my uncle who let me install it since he bought the home version I think, is there anything I can do to see why this is happening? Everytime I try to open it any Office program I can only see the opening screen and then my mac crashes... :confused:

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The thing is that you didn't need the discs. The uninstaller was installed on your hard drive in the Office Additional Tools folder as previously stated.

8. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

This is NOT true. "Remove Office" does not get everything and manually removing Office is not the problem.

----------

"Remove Office" did such a poor job or removing all files, they didn't even bother to include it in Office 2011. more info

How much free space do you have on your hard drive? You should keep (at bare minimum) more than 10% of your total drive capacity as free space.

Next how much RAM do you have installed? The "Problems from Insufficient RAM and Free Hard Disk Space" page will help with memory and disk space issues. If you do see you are low on disk space, these 3rd-party utilities "OmniDiskSweeper" or "Disk Inventory X" or "GrandPerspective" or "JDiskReport" will help show you where the disk space is going.

Testing in a new User will quickly tell you if the problem is system wide or if it's your User's folder that contains the problem.

Go to System Preferences --> Create a New User in Accounts. Switch to the New User by logging out/in or use Fast User Switching.

Do you still see the issue?

If yes, then the problem is with your base files.
    If no, then the problem is in your User's folder.

See this page for help:

Troubleshoot Office

http://www.officeformachelp.com/office/troubleshoot/

9. jumbb, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

jumbb thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot! It did solve mu problem with office... :D

However, my mac is still slow and showing me the beach ball too much...I also can't download firefox for a reason...anyways...i guess I'll wait to see if it works again!:confused:

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I will put my 22 years of using Word, 13 years of Office:mac, and 10 years of using Office for MacOS X up against your experience. The fact is that the OP came here for help with a problem that he would not have had if he had used the Remove Office uninstaller. That said, I am happy that he has found an alternate solution to his problem.