Can't rearrange icons on home screen nor add icons to home screen on 1.1.4.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ChazUK, Jun 16, 2008.

1. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Hi all.

I recently upgraded from a Mac Mini to an iMac and lost my jan update due to me being a fool and not backing up the update. (I didn't realis eht update was stored differently to my music so my DVD backups are no good) Discussion on Apple support forums

After having syncing issues with the touch I did a restore on the iMac and it seems that now I can no longer rearrange the icons on the home screen, nor can I add web links to it either.

I used to have things like BBC news and iPlayer on there for fast access bur I can no longer do so.

Pic shows 1.1.4 firmware:
    http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/325/16062008133zs2.jpg
    Pic shows bookmark menu without add to home screen:
    http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/7744/16062008136qa3.jpg

Is this normal and was the rearrange icons and add to homescreen a part of the jan update which I've now lost?

Thanks for looking!

2. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

exact same thing happened to me. I restored to remove the jailbreak and lost he jan apps and I cant rearrainge icons as well. I have since sold the touch.

3. ChazUK thread starter macrumors 603

ChazUK

It seems that it is a feature of the Jan update so I'll have to go without. Lets hope 2.0 will give me them backkk. :(

4. Squires macrumors regular

Squires

Have you lost your Mail app. and so on?

If so go onto iTunes then store and check for purchases.

This will then give you your Jan update back :)

Hope this helped

5. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Unfortunately he can't do this at the moment as the Jan. update has been pulled from the iTunes store. It is no longer available for download.

Do you have the update file backed up somewhere, perhaps? On an older backup of your home folder? Or still on the old Mac Mini? All the update is is a tiny file that unlocks the Jan. update...

6. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

If it helps you when searching your system with Spotlight,

That tiny unlock script file Cameront9 is referring to above is entitled:

iPod touch App Pack 4A93.ipa

I'd host the file for you on somewhere like Rapid-share, but Apple would probably sue.

R-Fly

7. ChazUK thread starter macrumors 603

ChazUK

Thanks for all the replies.

I've since sold my mac and dion't have a backup of the Mini. :(

@ razorianfly

Would someone elses file work on my account? I would have thought that the DRM would have stopped it from working on anyones but the person who bought it?

If it is possible and someone is willing to email the file (removed) I'd appreciate it.

Here's my reciept so you know I'm not on a con. :D
    [​IMG]

8. henchosbandito macrumors member

i had exactly the same problem. Went from windows laptop to imac without backing up the file. Contacted iTunes support and they posted the software update on my account for download again. For anyone else with the same issue, i am told that the software update isnt really downloaded, but stored on your iTunes account. To help solve this problem, attach your ipod to iTunes, sign in to your iTunes account and then sync your pod. Worked for me

9. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

When was this? With the software update being pulled from the store, do you think they'll be able to do that for me? I lost my update as well when I restored my iPod touch (I sold it, and I had to wipe everything clean), and I need it back, but I have no idea how to go about doing it.

10. henchosbandito macrumors member

i couldnt see why not. Send an email to iTunes support - theyre pretty good and should get back to you within a day or so. Explain the problem and i dont see why they wouldnt help