Can't record more than a couple of tracks in GarageBand...

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by stusam81, Mar 4, 2012.

1. stusam81 macrumors newbie

Hi.

I'm having trouble recording more than 3 or 4 guitar tracks in GB. When I try and do more I get a message saying my track couldn't be played back and to check the optimization pages in the help documents. I've followed those suggestions (close all other programmes, lock tracks etc) but I still only manage to get only one more short recording.

Im using a MacBook Pro (576 GB free on HD, 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, 5400 RPM HD, 1333MHz)

I've seen people with less powerful machines with 40+ tracks, any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

You need to lock the tracks, it's to do with your virtual instruments, they're demanding more CPU than you have available, this doesn't mean your Mac is crap, I've had the issue pop up on a Mac Pro, it's just a case of too much virtual effects for it to run in real time effectively, in the help menu in garageband just type in "lock" and it'll show the lock track clickable, when a track is locked (obviously) you can't make any changes, and any changes you do make will have to be re-locked unless not necessary.

Welcome to the world of multitrack recording.