Can't restore from old back up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bhigh8, Oct 25, 2013.

1. bhigh8 macrumors 6502

I just received my replacement phone. I backed up my old phone then set up my new phone and won't accept my old phones backup. Is that because that was on iOS 7 and this is still on 6.1.4? What do I need to do first do I need to update to seven and then see if the backup is there?

I just did this last week. And didn't have issues.

2. mwinget macrumors member

Yes.. you can't restore a iOS7 backup to a iOS6 phone.. you'll have to upgrade the phone to iOS7 first and then you can put your backup in place.

Check under Settings/General/Software update.. It should find the update to 7.0.3 out there.

3. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Update in iTunes to iOS7 then restore from backup.

4. SouthsideJohnny macrumors regular

I picked up a 5S today from the Apple Store. I clicked 'Restore iPhone' in ITunes NOT 'Restore Backup'. I was then given the choice of upgrading to iOS 7.0.3 and restoring my backup.

The 'Restore backup' option was unavailable as it said the NEW phone had never been backed up. That seemed counterintuitive if not downright stupid, but the only alternative was the restore, so I went ahead with that not knowing if something was about to go horribly wrong by doing so.

Worked perfectly.