Can't restore partition size

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Sakkai Jr, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Sakkai Jr, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018

Sakkai Jr macrumors newbie

Sakkai Jr

I use iMac mid 2011 with hdd 500gb

I create a new partition on my mac, but after i remove it, the size can't restore to default partition (machintosh hd). Now my hdd just 340gb, where are the rest? And how to restore it?

Sorry for my bad english, but i really need to fix this problem. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Here is a tried-and-true method that should "fix it":

1. Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone the contents of your "main Mac partition" to an external drive. Both are free to download and use for 30 days. I like CCC because it will make a cloned backup of the recovery partition, as well.
    Note: with High Sierra, I believe CCC has the option of creating either an APFS or HFS backup. I do not use APFS so I'm unable to recommend it. I'd try an HFS+ bootable backup if CCC offers that choice.

2. BOOT from the cloned backup. Open Disk Utility.

3. ERASE the internal drive. NUKE IT BACK TO ZERO (Mac OS extended, GUID partition map, 1 partition).
    Hmmmm.... if you created an "APFS cloned backup", you might want to erase to APFS, but again, I have no experience with APFS (no intention of using it unless my back is against the wall).

4. Open CCC (or SD) and RE-clone the contents of the cloned backup BACK TO the internal drive.

5. Done.

3. Sakkai Jr thread starter macrumors newbie

Sakkai Jr

I just have flash drive/flash disk 32gb,can use it?

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

"I just have flash drive/flash disk 32gb,can use it?"

Will it hold what's on the internal drive right now?
    If so, you can use that.