Can't see playback in iMovie 08 but.. there is sound.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by maryseb, Nov 17, 2008.

1. maryseb macrumors newbie

Alright so I have to put together a film, and I have footage for football, for soccer, and also basketball.

I bought Final Cut Express and I tried to open only the football footage on it.
    It worked, and then i tried to transfer the football edits I had already made by clicking the share button and then clicking Export Final Cut XML on imovie08 [as it showed on the apple website.]

It didn't work. I restarted my computer a while later, and now none of the football footage in imovie 08 is playing back. Nothing. Its a black screen. The footage for the soccer and basketball IS WORKING. I need help. ASAP. Project is due soon.

2. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

What format are the videos in? Do they play in quicktime if you open them directly from the finder?

3. maryseb thread starter macrumors newbie

they do open in quicktime if i open them from the finder.
    I dont know the format exactly.. its avchd.. downloaded into imovie08 from a sony handycam.
    The project I have been working on in imovie08 is there but it won't show in the playback screen. If you can help at all! that would be amazing.

4. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Any chance that you can start a new project and reimport the clips from your camcorder afresh?

Andrew.

5. maryseb thread starter macrumors newbie

No because the video was deleted from the camera after we imported them.
    And really, to re-important would be a really big deal. There is probably over, at least, 5 hours of footage that isn't showing up in the playback screen.
    The thumbnails work and there is sound. It's strange.

6. maryseb thread starter macrumors newbie

my sony camcorder has a video compression format AVCHD Hard drive, recording format avchd 1080/60 i and a 1920x1080 resolution.

7. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

So basically you have 1920x1080i60 AIC-encoded QuickTime clips transcoded from your source AVCHD material which play fine in QT Player but in iMovie you see the thumbnails but have playback issues.

When you say "not showing up in the playback screen" do you mean when you scrub or "skim" the thumbnails AND when you position the playhead and hit the space bar AND when you position the playhead and hit :apple:-G (fullscreen)? What about when you drag a clip from Event to Project? Can you drop it into your project, skim the thumnail, but still get no picture?

I also don't understand why you say you wanted to transfer the football clips from FCE to iMovie but used the Export FC XML tool in iMovie - that's for going from iMovie to FC, not the other way around . . . Do you mean you were transferring from iMovie to FCE?

I think you need to very carefully note down the precise steps you have taken so far and repost because this is quite confusing as it stands.

Andrew.

8. wigglrpop macrumors newbie

same thing happens to me when i edit videos in imovie 08 but when i export them to itunes theyre fine, its just really annoying because i cant adjust as well

9. tbrocato macrumors newbie

same problem here. I imported the material from my camera. The material thumbnails show up fine in both the event timeline and the project timeline. When I scrub through the event timeline I get both video and audio in the viewer. But when I try to scrub through the project timeline, the viewer screen goes blank and the playhead stays at the beginning of the timeline. No audio even. Nothing even happens when I press space bar. Help?