Cant seem to play H.264 movies ripped using handbrake

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by piggy123, Jun 18, 2010.

1. piggy123 macrumors newbie

Well, as the title suggests i can't playback any movies i have ripped. Ripped them using the H.264 codec and MP4 format at 100% constant quality. The end result is a .m4v file on my desktop which can't be played using vlc or quicktime. Anyone got any idea what i am doing wrong? - I know it's probably something stupid :rolleyes:

Thanks all

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Which versions of VLC and QT and even Handbrake on what Mac OS X are you using?

Can you maybe create a small sample and upload it somewhere for others to test?

3. piggy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow what a quick response! I usually only post on the mac pro forum and end up waiting a while before i get a reply. VLC is 1.0.2 - i am forced to use that as it's the most recent 64bit version. Handbrake is 0.9.4 and i am afraid i haven't a clue how to check QT.

**Edit - OS X 10.6.3

4. piggy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i just finished ripping a DVD using MPEG-4 and it works fine. Is there any real difference in quality or does the codec only really effect the size?

(Sorry for going off-topic in my own thread)

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Can you post a screen shot of the Handbrake settings?

CMD+SHIFT+4 and then SPACEBAR and then select the Handbrake window with your mouse. The resulting .png file is stored onto your Desktop. Use the ADDITIONAL OPTIONS below the Submit Reply button to attach the image here.

6. piggy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Guessing it has attached :)

Attached Files:

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you tried a Preset yet?

You don't need constant quality set to 100%, just use a good average bitrate.
    As I don't mind how big my ripped movies are, I used something like 4000kbps, but that may be too much.

8. piggy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just trying the "High profile" preset now, will let you know how it goes. Should only take 15 mins or so on the mac pro.

Thanks again

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

15 minutes? WTF, my iBook took ten to sixteen hours for a two pass encode of a 90 minute film back in the day. But my iMac only needs two hours, which is okay. But fifteen minutes is holy crap. :eek:

10. piggy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Got to love that 8 core goodness :D It would usually be slightly quicker but i am also ripping avatar using mpeg-4 at 100% constant quality :rolleyes: Still not sure if i made the right choice with the Mac Pro over the iMac - it definetly hurt my wallet alot more but having 8tb of space and being able to display on my tv and my 3 monitors makes it worth the while.. Just hope i keep feeling that way for the next year or so it's going to take to pay off :(

And Harry potter works too! With H.264 and everything! Maybe i was just overkilling it a bit with 100% constant quality - i just looked at the old one and it was 29GB!

Thanks alot spinnerlys, i really am a douchebag.
    :apple:

11. piggy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Geeze man, 100% constant quality?

Just go for AppleTV or Universal. 100% is complete overkill.

13. piggy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha i know that now but the Mac Pro made me go slightly insane with power :p