Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brbrown

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
North warwickshire
I am using an iMac OS Sierra 10.13.4 desktop computer. When I try to add an email Contact to my contacts list, it will list in the appropriate letter section but it will not be in alphabetical order. It seems to drop in at any random position. Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to achieve alphabetical order please?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So does the iOS 12 only relate to iPhones, iPads and iPods?
Yes... that is correct. Since you mentioned you are on macOS 10.13.4, I moved yout thread to the macOS High Sierra forum.

If you look in the Contacts preference pane, there are some sorting options there. Check those to make sure they are set how you want.

Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 8.24.27 AM.png

brbrown

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
North warwickshire
Yes... that is correct. Since you mentioned you are on macOS 10.13.4, I moved yout thread to the macOS High Sierra forum.

If you look in the Contacts preference pane, there are some sorting options there. Check those to make sure they are set how you want.

View attachment 765372
OK. Thanks for moving it. I already have the Preferences sorting options set so hopefully someone will have some ideas for getting the contacts in order. Thanks for your help.

Brian K Chicago

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
I know this is and old thread but I have the answer for the reason some contacts within a particular letter are out of alphabetical order. On each card you have the option of displaying the card by name or by company. If you have a company entered, then the list will display the company name in alphabetical order along with your other cards. However, if you do not have anything entered in the company field, but still have the box checked to display the card by company, then that card will jump to the front of the pile within that letter. If you have multiple cards within one letter with blank company fields, those will be sorted in alphabetical order in front of the other cards which will also be in a group in alphabetical order. To fix you need to uncheck the Company box in all of the cards that have not company entered in the card. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Contact 1.jpeg
    Contact 1.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Contact 2.jpeg
    Contact 2.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 85

BlueSkyMike1

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2014
I know this is and old thread but I have the answer for the reason some contacts within a particular letter are out of alphabetical order. On each card you have the option of displaying the card by name or by company. If you have a company entered, then the list will display the company name in alphabetical order along with your other cards. However, if you do not have anything entered in the company field, but still have the box checked to display the card by company, then that card will jump to the front of the pile within that letter. If you have multiple cards within one letter with blank company fields, those will be sorted in alphabetical order in front of the other cards which will also be in a group in alphabetical order. To fix you need to uncheck the Company box in all of the cards that have not company entered in the card. Hope this helps.
EDIT: thanks for the comment. My typical scenario is this: I add a new *person* contact from a message thread, I don't check the company box, and every time it will put it at the top of the list. A workaround I found is when you're adding the person, put a check in the company tick box and then immediately uncheck the box, and it will sort correctly. Any idea how to tell the app to sort as a person (not company) by default?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.