Can't start up OSX after removal of airport card (then I put it back)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mrs. Macman, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Mrs. Macman macrumors newbie

Hey people,

I have a almost five year old Powerbook G4. Do any of you guys remember that little lithium battery that was put in the Powerbook after purchase (for emergency power)?

Well I figured I would try and replace it...
    Step 1- try and find out where it is located in the powerbook.

step 2- I didn't get to step 2 because I failed at step 1. I don't know, I must be really stupid or something, but I couldn't find it... Not only that , I accidentally took out my airport card while trying to find it:eek:

Now when I start up my computer, It brings up this screen (before opening the operating system) and says I have to restart my computer. I restart, and the same thing happens.

What the H*LL, I was just trying to replace the stupid lithium battery, didn't know it could go so wrong!
    If any of you can help me, or tell me what I need to do just to get my laptop working normally again, PLEASE HELP!

Thanks for your time,
    Ian

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Sounds like the Airport card is not seated properly - take it back out and push back in firmly.

The battery you are talking about is the PRAM battery - why are you wanting to change it - the date and time are wrong or something ?

3. Mrs. Macman thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried that, the same thing still happens.:(

I wanted to change the battery because if my computer runs out of regular batteries, everything resets.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Sounds like you may have shorted something ...

5. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

When you start up, just after the chime, hold 'Command + V'. What does it say when it crashes?

Also, on the 'restart your computer' message, what does the row of letters at the bottom say (XX:XX:XX:XX etc)

AppleMatt

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sounds like you broke something.

Try reset PMU, and reset PRAM.

Google: powerbook g4 pram battery