Can't the money be better spent?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Oct 27, 2010.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So they campaign on creating jobs yet the money they spend on ads could help the majority of the people they are trying to persuade. So rather than spend billions an ad on a campaign put that money to better use. Who gets that money, I assume it's the networks that are selling advertising time.

Why not just make all political ads PSA's since they are going to be public servants any ways. I guess this would fit into campaign finance reform if the ads were free of charge they would not need to fundraise as much.

2. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

If nothing else, the business community likes the idea of voting by capital: more money is like more voting power.

The other problem is the "soft" money. How do you manage that? Do you want to simply cut off the voices of other groups of interest? How would you accomplish that without damaging the first amendment?

Then there is the softest money of all: Fox v. MSNBC — that is basically untouchable, unless you want to try to tweak the constitution.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The people making those ads don't work for free.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Instead of finding a better use for that money, let's make it so our politicians don't need to spend most of their work week prostituting themselves to the Big Money Boyz. That time would be better spent legislating and studying.

5. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

But then you would be compromising a keystone of the socio-economic system. "I" create jobs to increase my revenue stream as a means to acquire enough money to influence policy (usually with the goal of easing goverment regulations on the business that produced the money, etc. etc.). What would be the point of acquiring huge piles of cash if the political system blocked it out? Clearly, reforming this system would have a very depressive effect on the economy.

6. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I'd just rather not see an extra bag of garbage a week going to the recycle bin consisting of nothing but those stupid political junk mail ads I am getting every day, the ****ers broke the flap on my mail slot!