Can't transfer any iTunes songs from MacBook Air to iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Jim1954, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Jim1954 macrumors newbie

Tried doing search here and Google for answers but turned into a wild goose chase getting me nowhere. Lot of similar threads but no answers for me.

MacBook Air 10.7.2 with latest iTunes 10.5.3 and iPad (gen1) has 5.0.1 with Apple "Music" app that replaced their "iPod" app.

Because of that ridiculous common problem of "iPad synced with another iTunes library", it won't let me move any iTunes songs which I imported from CDs, to my iPad unless I "erase this iPad" as that above message also says. This iPad was synced with an old laptop I no longer have but since there is a work-around to sync, is there also a work-around to transfer songs?

In the "Sync Music" window on MacBook, I selected songs in iTunes to transfer to iPad but when clicking Apply I get that error as above. I also tried right clicking iPad in iTunes but there isn't anything applicable there to use, tried some anyway but nothing works. This is crazy.

Thanks much for help with this!

2. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

You can only sync music from one computer, so for you to make it work you need to let it erase everything that includes inside music and videos.. This is because apple isn't too keen about file sharing and that's why you cannot sync it on several computers, otherwise file sharing would be obsolete..

So everything is in order for you, i see no problems, it's behaving like it should do.

3. Jim1954, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012

Jim1954 thread starter macrumors newbie

Since I didn't see much of a choice, I just went ahead and did the transfer of songs expecting it to erase everything, but it actually didn't. So, I guess it gives that warning that it will erase everything but it doesn't, at least for me. Maybe because everything was backed up but last time I did an "erase", it did erase many things. Strange.

When I upgraded to the latest OS recently, I had to do the erase thing and it removed my apps (just some free ones) and restored some other things back to their original state. Not everything though, kept bookmarks, contacts, email and a lot of song chords/lyrics I had in Notes app.

Had a strange experience with that erase with the OS upgrade. I had forgotten then that I had one app called AudioNote Lite with some guitar songs I recorded on it. Thought I lost a lot of ideas but then when I downloaded a new one from App store, somehow very strangely all those songs re-appeared in it. Yes, I know that makes no sense logically. Apparently the iPad has some kind of memory for those things because I definitely without a doubt didn't sync to my MacBook to retrieve any old app info. Also re-downloaded my free Whistle phone app and the phone number I had assigned to it re-appeared on it. Was very pleasantly surprised (or shocked) at both of those things. Bizarre

4. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

With iCloud it stores a lot of that info that you are talking about, so after a restore for example you get basically everything back, along as you have enabled it for iCloud usage. It my not appear straight away be ause it needs to download.

Good anyhow that it seems like it was a good experience for you :)