Can't turn off mirroring with VGA duel monitor splitter??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 617media, Oct 29, 2010.

1. 617media macrumors member

I just picked up this "Gagaware 2 port usb powered VGA splitter PC-Mac compatable" at Radioshack for like $35 cause it's close by and seemed legit enough.

My goal is very simple for the time being.... run my 2 LCD monitors together so I can have double the desktop space. I plugged everything in properly and it seemed to work right away at my pleasure.

However, then I quickly started getting real pissed off.. If you guys have ever looked into the "displays" option when you have a mac hooked up to any other kind of external monitor, there is a "mirror displays" option. When I have these 2 monitors running default mirrored, and go into "Displays" there is no option for unchecking the mirroring box. In fact, there isn't even the "Arrangement" tab. Just "Display" and "Color".

A box also popped up saying that the "computer only detected one display, making me think it has something to do with that.

Having 2 mirrored displays is completely useless to me.

Finally, I tried opening my Macbook Pro, and all of a sudden it seemed to solve the problem and from within the MBP itself, I could go into the display options and uncheck the "mirroring" option - thus seeming to have solved the problem, and making the two external screens into a continuous desktop.....

But then the second I close the MBP, it reverts back to the original issue and my screens are just mirrors of each other. (keeping the macbook open isn't an option... it's a waste of its screen-life, gets in the way of things, takes up more space, more likely to get **** spilled on it, just looks awkward etc)

Anyone have any idea how to solve this, or if its solvable at all? If not is there another device that people can recommend that isn't too expensive? The quality on this one doesn't seem bad at all, but I have noticed a drop of color quality on my bigger (32") monitor than before when it was plugged directly into the mini-VGA port alone.

I also wouldn't mind one that has 3 or even 4 connection options, since once I move places I will probably be setting up a larger studio and am the type who likes to have as much screen space as possible.

But of course I'd rather just make this work for now..... so ****ing annoying.

Thanks

2. 617media thread starter macrumors member

never mind the retards at Radioshack... should of known. I guess VGA splitter is only good for mirroring aka if you want to project something to a class or DJ or whatever.....

so now I need what I was asking about... something that is is high quality and lets me extend 2 or more monitors into my desktop