Can't turn on iTunes Home Sharing - Account or Username incorrect!! Aaargh!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BadboyHouse, May 29, 2012.

1. BadboyHouse macrumors 6502

This problem is really frustrating me. I've been trying for the last week or so to turn on iTunes Home Sharing. The sole reason I want this is so that both me and the Mrs can use the iTunes Remote app to control our respective music libraries.

When I go to Advanced -> Turn On Home Sharing and enter my AppleID and password I get the following message:

"Home Sharing could not be enabled because the account or password was incorrect"

The thing is the AppleID and Password I'm entering are the exact same details that I use for purchasing music and apps and are the same details configured in iTunes for the Account - they work fine everywhere else apart from in Home Sharing.

I don't have any other AppleID accounts. This is the only one I have.

Would appreciate any pointers as to why Home Sharing won't set up.

Cheers.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

is the apple ID correct in the Remote app settings?

3. BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

The iTunes remote app gives the exact same error as what I get when I try to enable it within iTunes.

The AppleID and Password are 100% - they're the same details I use to buy Music and Apps plus I use these to access my iTunes account.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

and nothing is wrong with your wireless conection both devices are connected?

5. BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

I've not got an connectivity issues. I get the same issue if I try to enable Home Sharing with my Mac and both of our iPhone on a completely different wifi network (my parent's). This is not a connectivity issue.

There are many many other posts about exactly the same issue on other forums - unfortunately they don't have any answers.

I will probably have to liaise direct with Apple about this.

6. BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm getting somewhere I think:

I logged into the My Apple ID site however I had to use my email address (myfullname@aol.com). Interestingly, the details I use for purchasing music, accessing my iTunes account etc is just myfullname - i.e. the first part of my email address before the @ symbol.

When I logged into the Apple ID site, the Apple ID and Primary Email Address shows myfullname@aol.com.

If I use myfullname@aol.com to try and turn on Home Sharing, I get

Home Sharing could not be activated because this computer is not authorised for the account myfullname@aol.com. Would you like to authorise it now?

I don't obviously want to authorise the computer with this as I suspect it will mean everything that I've purchased (which shows that it used just the myfullname apple ID - not myfullname@aol.com) will presumably stop working.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

thats confusing, are you trying to home share someone elses content using your apple id?

just use the apple id for the apple id authorized to that computer

8. BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

I sorted this out.

Basically I logged into the my apple id site and had to use my full aol email address as the login. Once logged in it showed that I had only 1 Apple ID (my email address).

Somehow, iTunes, our phones and the MacBook use just the first part of the email address. I don't know how, and the my apple id site lists just the full aol email address. it won't even let me log in or recognise the ID if I use just the first part of the address.

I've now set all of our devices to use the proper full email address as the apple id so it's now consistent. All devices are authorised to use the full address.

I had to however also leave the first part Apple ID authorised as well so as not to mess up our purchases up to this point. So I now have two different addresses authorised.

And now Home Sharing works also.